The Story is About   +  young adult

The Season by Sarah MacLean

The Season by Sarah MacLean

Release Date: March 1, 2009
Publisher: Orchard Books
Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: 352

Seventeen year old Lady Alexandra is strong-willed and sharp-tongued -- in a house full of older brothers and their friends, she had to learn to hold her own. Not the best makings for an aristocratic lady in Regency London. Yet her mother still dreams of marrying Alex off to someone safe, respectable, and wealthy. But between ball gown fittings, dances, and dinner parties, Alex, along with her two best friends, Ella and Vivi, manages to get herself into what may be her biggest scrape yet.
When the Earl of Blackmoor is mysteriously killed, Alex decides to help his son, the brooding and devilishly handsome Gavin, uncover the truth. But will Alex's heart be stolen in the process? In an adventure brimming with espionage, murder, and other clandestine affairs, who could possibly have time to worry about finding a husband? Romance abounds as this year's season begins!

Can I just say that I LOVED this book! Yes another fangirly moment brought to you by TSS! I just want to snuggle it while I’m sleeping and pet it’s shiny, pretty cover.

I love a historical fiction, especially the ones that are set in the regency period, there’s just something about it that utterly captivates me. And I shouldn’t fail to mention that I’m a huge fan of romance, nothing feels better than being in love. So already this novel had two things going for it before I even cracked it open. And then when I started reading, well I was just blown away! Sarah MacLean say hello to your number one fan!!

I adored Alex’s character. She posses all the fine qualities, that I think a “real lady” should! Smart, honest, witty, confident, and she’s obviously not afraid to do what she think is right, despite how it may appear to others, it was very refreshing to see that in a regency setting!

I was intrigued by the mystery and although I had the killer pegged from the beginning, I was still surprised by the revelations that unraveled soon after he was outed, now that I did not see coming.

MacLean’s writing as I mentioned before really blew me away. It’s always an adventure for me when I read a new author, because you never really know what to expect, and I can tell you that I will happily continue reader her novels! The Season was beautifully written without being superfluous in unwanted descriptions. MacLean painted a perfect portrait of her world that included even the finest details, that really made the story one of a kind. I usually get lost in an ample description, and I find myself even skipping over the mundane details, but with MacLean, I was able to perfectly imagine what she set out to portray in her writing. I felt like I was there dancing and gossiping too!

My most absolute favorite aspect of the novel was the relationship between Gavin and Alex and how their life long friendship grew into something else. Aww... so cute!

The Season was such a fun read! Smooth writing, enthralling characters, intriguing mystery! Recommended!