The Story is About   +  young adult

Claire de Lune by Christine Johnson

Claire de Lune

by Christine Johnson

Release Date: May 18, 2010
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: 256
Source: Publisher
Interest: Debut Author
Challenge: 2010 Debut Author Challenge

Torn between two destinies?

Claire is having the perfect sixteenth birthday. Her pool party is a big success, and gorgeous Matthew keeps chatting and flirting with her as if she's the only girl there. But that night, she discovers something that takes away all sense of normalcy: she's a werewolf.

As Claire is initiated into the pack of female werewolves, she must deal not only with her changing identity, but also with a rogue werewolf who is putting everyone she knows in danger. Claire's new life threatens her blossoming romance with Matthew, whose father is leading the werewolf hunt. Now burdened with a dark secret and pushing the boundaries of forbidden love, Claire is struggling to feel comfortable in either skin. With her lupine loyalty at odds with her human heart, she will make a choice that will change her forever?

Claire de Lune is a unique idea on werewolf mythology. Although personally I would have liked to know a little bit more about the history and a deeper explanation of the ties to their 'goddess'. It doesn't necessarily take away from the story, but it would have been a much appreciated addition.

Claire was a fantastic character. Even if your not a fan of paranormal elements, you can't help but relate with Claire and her struggle to fit in and be a normal teenager. I mean, sure Claire has that whole, I just found out I'm a werewolf, and I can't tell anyone... I'm a big freak. But I think everyone has moments where they feel like they don't fit in, without the whole werewolf thing. I loved Claire's relationship with her best friend. It was refreshing to see that strong of a bond between two girls, who really do genuinely care for each other. Perhaps I'm a little burnt out on the whole backstabbing best friend trend.

I could not figure out the identity of the killer, until Johnson pretty much spelled it out for the reader. Lots of eye popping plot twists in this one!

The relationship between Matthew and Claire was the only thing that I was a little disappointed in. Matthew as a character just didn't leap of the page like Claire and the other secondary characters did. He felt a little flat to me and he was just a little too perfect. I hate to think that I prefer some sort of conflict between the love interests, but there was just something missing between those two.

The ending wraps up nicely, although a little too convenient for my tastes, there is definitely the groundwork for a sequel.