The Story is About   +  young adult

Jekel Loves Hyde by Beth Fantaskey

Jekel Loves Hyde

by Beth Fantaskey

Release Date: May 3, 2010
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: 288
Source: Publisher
Interest: Author
Challenge: None

Jill Jekel has always obeyed her parents’ rules – especially the one about never opening the mysterious, old box in her father’s office. But when her dad is murdered, and her college savings disappear, she's tempted to peek inside, as the contents might be key to a lucrative chemistry scholarship.

To better her odds, Jill enlists the help of gorgeous, brooding Tristen Hyde, who has his own dark secrets locked away. As the team of Jekel and Hyde, they recreate experiments based on the classic novel, hoping not only to win a prize, but to save Tristen’s sanity. Maybe his life. But Jill’s accidental taste of a formula unleashes her darkest nature and compels her to risk everything – even Tristen’s love – just for the thrill of being… bad.

(summary from Goodreads)
Fantaskey's debut novel Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side is one of my favorite books, so I've been dying to read more of her novels!

I love her innovative spins on familiar lore, Jekel Loves Hyde was no exception. I've never read the classic tale of The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde, but I've been exposed to so much of the story, I had no problem deciphering Fantaskey's inspiration. And I don't think that other readers will have a problem either.

Jill and Tristan were two very interesting characters, but I didn't feel a deep connection to either one of them. The initial attraction that Jill felt for Tristan was believable enough, but I was never sure if it was really Tristan falling for Jill or his other side. I guess either way I could see him falling for her, but it seemed a little rushed for my taste. I guess I didn't see the appeal of Jill, she was a little too timid, a little too perfect. She just didn't have much personality, although by the end of the novel I did some some personal growth in her character which was refreshing!

There wasn't as much of a love story in this novel. Not to say that there isn't a love story... there is, but it's overshadowed by the suspense of Jill and Tristan's race to find a cure. I didn't see a lot of the plot twists that Beth threw out there, especially at the end! I love being caught off guard!

Beth Fantaskey is such a fantastic writer! I really wanted to like this just as much or more than I did Jessica's Guide, but I'd still have to choose Jessica's Guide as my favorite.

Overall Jekel Loves Hyde is an enthralling take on a classic tale!