The Story is About   +  young adult

Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce

Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce

Release Date: June 7, 2010
Publisher: Little Brown Books for Young Readers
Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: 326
Source: Publisher
Challenge: None
Interest: Author
Buy the Book: Amazon

|Indiebound|Barnes & Noble

Scarlett March lives to hunt the Fenris-- the werewolves that took her eye when she was defending her sister Rosie from a brutal attack. Armed with a razor-sharp hatchet and blood-red cloak, Scarlett is an expert at luring and slaying the wolves. She's determined to protect other young girls from a grisly death, and her raging heart will not rest until every single wolf is dead.

Rosie March once felt her bond with her sister was unbreakable. Owing Scarlett her life, Rosie hunts fiercely alongside her. Now Rosie dreams of a life beyond the wolves and finds herself drawn to Silas, a young woodsman who is deadly with an ax-- but loving him means betraying her sister and has the potential to destroy all they've worked for.

I loved Pearce's debut novel, As You Wish... and while I loved the idea of Sisters Red... I just didn't enjoy it quite as much as I did As You Wish.

I loved how Pearce portrayed Rosie and Scarlett's world... it was almost like they lived in this fairy tale realm that was on the outer edge of a world much like our own, there was something very notable about that. And I loved the relationship between the sisters. Having two sisters of my own, I understand how strong of a bond sisterhood can be. Not to mention that the plot twist was AWESOME, even though I kinda sorta saw it coming! And Pearce's writing was top notch just as it was in As You Wish.

But I guess that is where my love for this novel ended. I had a really hard time getting into the story. It just didn't seem like much was happening. Sure there were some kick ass fights every once in a while, but it just wasn't all that interesting. I found Scarlett's passion of killing the Fenris to be annoying. She was too selfish of a character, and her abilities where just a little too unrealistic for me... did she honestly think she could go on with it being just the three of them like this forever? Perhaps I would have enjoyed the story more if it would have been told solely from Rosie's point of view. Scarlett started to grow on me a little bit there in the end, but I was still bitter with her from all of her crap at the beginning!

The romance between Silas and Rosie was something that I did enjoy! It was sweet and endearing! And I almost wish Scarlett might have had a little bit of love to soften her rough edges... not that love is the answer to everything wrong in Scarlett's world... but I think the healing of power of love might have done her a little good.

So... to break it down... I loved the story, the writing... and some of the characters. It was a little bit slow for me, and had a hard time getting into, but I am glad that I stuck through and made it to the end.