The Story is About   +  young adult

Almost Perfect by Brian Katcher

Almost Perfect by Brian Katcher

Release Date: October 13, 2009
Publisher: Random House
Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: 368
Source: Publisher
Interest: Story
Challenge: None
Buy the Book: Amazon

|Barnes & Noble

You only hurt the ones you love.

Logan Witherspoon recently discovered that his girlfriend of three years cheated on him. But things start to look up when a new student breezes through the halls of his small-town high school. Sage Hendricks befriends Logan at a time when he no longer trusts or believes in people. Sage has been homeschooled for a number of years and her parents have forbidden her to date anyone, but she won’t tell Logan why. One day, Logan acts on his growing feelings for Sage. Moments later, he wishes he never had. Sage finally discloses her big secret: she’s actually a boy. Enraged, frightened, and feeling betrayed, Logan lashes out at Sage and disowns her. But once Logan comes to terms with what happened, he reaches out to Sage in an attempt to understand her situation. But Logan has no idea how rocky the road back to friendship will be.

This book was... Almost Perfect. (pun intended) It took me a while to get into this book. I actually almost stopped reading it. Logan just wasn't an appealing character... he was sort of boring actually and I struggled with the novel as a result. However, I can admit by the end of the novel Logan really grew on me, and the authenticity of his voice came shining though.

The writing was, well... I felt like someone decided to throw a few SAT words in there just for fun. I hate when people use 'big' words just for the sake of having them there, and that is what I felt was going on. Luckily that died down by the second half. That's probably just something that bothers me... I don't mind when it flows nicely within the story... but most of the time it just seems like they are sticking out like a sore thumb... but like I said, it's probably just me.

I guess the thing that finally captured my attention, well actually the person, was Sage. I would have loved for this novel to be told in alternating chapters. It was great seeing Logan evolve through the novel, and watching him deal with his beliefs and feelings, but I wanted to have that insight with Sage too. Sage's character was gripping. The second-hand encounter of her experiences were upsetting... her father's refusal of acceptance, her parent's denial, domestic violence... maybe it was better her story was only seen through the eyes of Logan...

This novel, more than anything is heartbreaking. Reading the last few pages of the book, where Katcher explains that much of the novel is based on his interviews and first hand experiences with transgender teens that have been though similar experiences was almost too much for me to handle. The ending to the novel itself, isn't a happy one, but I think that both characters have a better sense of who they are.

Overall a touching and emotional read. I loved the message of this novel.