The Story is About   +  young adult

The Duff by Kody Keplinger

The Duff by Kody Keplinger

Release Date: September 7, 2010
Publisher: Little Brown/Poppy
Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: 288
Source: BEA
Interest: Debut Author
Challenge: 2010 Debut Author Challenge
Buy the Book: Amazon

|Barnes & Noble

Seventeen-year-old Bianca Piper is cynical and loyal, and she doesn't think she's the prettiest of her friends by a long shot. She's also way too smart to fall for the charms of man-slut and slimy school hottie Wesley Rush. In fact, Bianca hates him. And when he nicknames her "Duffy," she throws her Coke in his face.

But things aren't so great at home right now. Desperate for a distraction, Bianca ends up kissing Wesley. And likes it. Eager for escape, she throws herself into a closeted enemies-with-benefits relationship with Wesley.

Until it all goes horribly awry. It turns out that Wesley isn't such a bad listener, and his life is pretty screwed up, too. Suddenly Bianca realizes with absolute horror that she's falling for the guy she thought she hated more than anyone.

I'd have to say that normally I'd hate a character like Bianca... the girl is a hater. But I couldn't help but feel a kinship with her sarcastic and smart-ass attitude. In the end, I loved Bianca. I'm sure some readers will hate her. With Bianca, I think readers are either going to love her or hate her... I don't think there will be too much in between.

Once of my favorite things about this novel beyond Bianca was her friends Casey and Jess and their friendship. It was so refreshing to see a group of girls that are supportive and honest with each other! Their friendship wasn't perfect, but I don't think a perfect friendship exists... these girls though, they had a good thing. And it was awesome to read about.

Wesley, the misunderstood bad boy womanizer, was the perfect counterpoint to Bianca's cynical nature. Those two were sizzling... I loved their constant banter. Cracked me up.

The Duff is so fast paced... don't be surprised if you pick it up and don't put it down until your reading the last page, I know that I didn't. Kody has written a fantastic debut and I CAN'T WAIT to see more from her.

I loved the issues that Kody tackled head on... she didn't shove anything under the rug, she kept it authentic... which wasn't a surprise since she's fresh out of high school herself! LOVED!

Two word description: contemporary and SEXY!