The Story is About   +  TIME

Backstage Blogging: Section 2, Part 4

It's time for Backstage Blogging Section TWO!!

Section One of backstage blogging centered around blog utilization. I asked a group of thirty bloggers who had been blogging for less than six months "What do you hope to accomplish with your book blog beyond sharing your love of literature?" You can see their responses to that question: here & here. I also asked a group of thirty bloggers who have been blogging for over six months to several years "As the operator of a well-known blog, how do you put your star power to good use?" You can see their responses: here & here.

This next section is centered around voice! I asked those thirty newbie bloggers: "Is the idea of finding your voice and creating a unique blogging identity intimidating?" You can find their responses here and here.

For the next two weeks I'll be featuring another group of bloggers and finding their opinions on voice!

(Special thanks to Susan from Wastepaper Prose who inspired and helped me develop this series!)



How important do you think it is for a blogger to establish a unique identity online?

It is INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT. For serious, you want to be youiest you you can possibly be. My favorite blogs each have a voice that is completely their own. How boring would bloglandia be if we all were exactly the same? Here is the thing, all of you reading this are great, wonderful, unique interesting people. You all have different opinions, thoughts, feelings, and views on books, publishing, life, etc. You all bring something unique to the table. It is so absolutely essential that you let that shine through online, whether that is on twitter, on your blog, in your emails, in the comments you write. Don't ever,ever EVARRR be afraid to be unique and different.

-April of Good Books & Good Wine

I think it is very important for a blogger to establish a unique identity online. That is what will make you stand out and shine. There are so many bloggers, so if you have something that will set you apart and make others notice you, it will help you in the long run. You want people know there is something unique about you and what you will bring to the blogosphere, so that they will continue to read.

-Erica of The Book Cellar

I think it's essential. Yes, blogging is fun, but you are a brand. Everything about your blog -- content, design, etc -- should let people know what they are getting into when they visit your site. Just like anything else you have to find your niche and own it. Really zero in on what you do well. Ask yourself ocassionally, how your blog is different from all the others in the sphere? Without a doubt, your answer is huge part of your identity as a blogger.

- Susan of Wastepaper Prose

I think it's important for a couple reasons. I pick my reasons based solely on how I feel as a reader, but I figure at least one other person must feel the same way.

I know that I follow a TON of blogs. And I tend to like one's better when I can put a face and personality to the blog. Or if the blog is unique. I also tend to adore blogs where I know the blogger's taste in books is similar to mine. The blog just stands out more that way and becomes more memorable. If I feel that way as a reader, I want to try and put what I like into my blogging. From the more "professional" stand point, yeah it's kind of important to be memorable and well liked/trusted. But it's mostly warming to know our blog is something somebody else loves and goes to for opinions because Lanna or I stand out to them as someone they can trust with their book decisions.

In general, I know I tend to like people that are more available in general. Teachers that make an effort to relate to their students and make us laugh, authors who are on twitter and being themselves and make me laugh, anyone that I can see that I can relate to and that can make me laugh is so much more approachable and I don't feel as scared to do it. I feel like I'm talking to a person and not a robot. So, I apply this to my online identity. I want our readers to have that same feeling. I want them to know that I respond to a lot of my tweets (if I can think of a response. Sometimes the brain just stops) and I LOVE getting emails from them. They make my day. So, I'm available on youtube and goodreads and twitter and by email and I even have a tumblr that I never update for my personal use. I want to make sure our readers don't think I'm a robot and to know that I'm always up for a chat if they think I'm someone they could chat with.

While talking about this question with Lanna, she brought up the negative part of this. Sometimes people end up trying TOO hard to be unique and to stand out, to the point where it's clear they're being fake and it's just annoying. If it's not in a person's personality to maintain a unique identity online or they just don't want to, then it definitely shouldn't be forced!

-Julie of Bloggers[heart]Books

Very important! When I first started blogging, I tried to think of anything I could possibly do to set my blog apart from all of the other YA book blogs. I also wanted my blog to be one that authors, publishers and readers remembered easily; one that stood out from the others. The opportunities I've had, thanks to authors and publicists who hand-picked my blog because they remembered me, are so incredible. So I definitely think it's in a blogger's best interest to be themselves, but still find a way to do something no other blogger has done before!

-Katie of Sophistikatied

I think it's important if you want readers to keep coming back. I think of the blogs I love, and they each have their own "voice" and style of doing things. Nobody wants to read the same blog over and over again. I think each blog should have at least something that sets them apart from the others.

-Jami of YA Addict

I don't think it's necessary for everyone to have a completely unique identity regarding their blog or blogging style. For the most part, we all want to get the word out about new and exciting books, as well as share those certain gems we personally love with everyone else, so that makes the point of book blogging pretty similar for everyone. That being said, having a fun twist to one's blog is a good way to get more bloggers to come to the site.

I like to have a weekly Picture Book Saturday, which is unique to my own blog and people are able to count on each week. It brings them back every Saturday and (as far as I know), there isn't another one out there, so it's something drawing readers in. But, that's as unique as I get and I still have a large base of readers.

-Amanda of A Patchwork of Books

I believe it is very important for a blogger to establish a unique identity online. Now, I'm not saying it has to be something crazy, like only reviewing pink books or titles beginning with the letter "S." By an identity, I mean establishing, through reviews, a certain taste in reading -- your taste in reading. For example, if someone were to read my blog, they'd know they're going to find chick lit, some paranormal, and lots of friendships and romance -- because that's what works for me.

The great thing about book blogs is that, unlike reviews from big names, the reviews are more intimate. It's one person and what they think, and after awhile you see how your tastes in reading line up with the reviewers. When you find a blogger with similar tastes, you know you can trust their reviews. This, in my opinion, is why it's important to have a unique identity. Read what you want, review what you feel, and you'll get a loyal following that fits your blog.

-Jessica of Chick Lit Teens

Very.

When I started I very much towed the party line with memes, review structure, etc I bored myself. Now I am beginning to try and diversify with content, discussions waged and how opinionated I am willing to be. Your online identity should reflect your actual identity - no one likes every book, gushes over every author and agrees with every blogger. Be true to yourself, your opinions and your reading tastes and you'll find yourself naturally carving out that unique identity.

If you don't have anything to say, a different perspective, then being unique is the least of your problems. Be true to yourself.

-Adele of Persnickety Snark

Wow! What a great question! I think it is VERY important to establish a unique identity online! For Eve's Fan Garden, the creators spent many months developing the basic premise of the site before even considering launching it. The research they did included checking out other blogs and finding out if what they wanted to do is already being done or not. The result of that is Eve's Fan Garden!

I think that with the upsurge of all the blogs (especially book blogs) out there today, it is critical to have something new and different to offer. Otherwise why would anyone want to bother reading what you blog about?

Even once your basic identity is established, you're not done though! You also have to find some unique little features or activities that set you apart from all the rest. Being relatively new to the blogging world, this has been, by far, the most difficult part and the most enjoyable at the same time for me! I am fortunate enough to work with a team of bloggers on EFG and when we put our creative minds together amazing things happen!

-Donna of Eve's Fan Garden

I think it is very important. If you give the same "fit in the box" review that people who are being forced to right a review for school would give you show no personality. It needs to be your goal to make people want to remember you and continue reading what you have to say. That is the only way you can be an influence.

-Ashley of Books Make Great Lovers

I believe the most successful bloggers do have a unique identity. You can read a couple of lines by Steph Su, Lenore, or Adele and know who wrote it. Reading their blogs is fun because they have strong personalities and thus are more fun to interact with. I struggle with developing my identity online – I'm shy and paranoid and therefore hold most of myself back. At the same time, I'm constantly discussing a subject I'm passionate about. I hope my personality shines through even though I don't feel like I'm consciously developing an identity.

-Liviania of In Bed With Books



This is my last post for Backstage Blogging. For this year anyway. I am hoping to implement the feature sometime next year, although the set-up will be a little bit different.

If you're interested in participating, I will be doing a callout on the blog to sign up!

I want to send out a huge thanks to the 60 bloggers that participated this first time around! I so appreciate your insight and help!