The Story is About   +  young adult

The Demon Trapper's Daughter by Jana Oliver

The Demon Trapper's Daughter by Jana Oliver

Release Date: February 1, 2011
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: 340
Source: ARC
Interest: 2011 Debut
Challenge: 2011 Debut Author Challenge
Buy the Book: Amazon

Riley Blackthorne just needs a chance to prove herself – and that’s exactly what the demons are counting on…

Seventeen-year-old Riley, the only daughter of legendary Demon Trapper, Paul Blackthorne, has always dreamed of following in her father's footsteps. The good news is, with human society seriously disrupted by economic upheaval and Lucifer increasing the number of demons in all major cities, Atlanta’s local Trappers’ Guild needs all the help they can get – even from a girl. When she’s not keeping up with her homework or trying to manage her growing crush on fellow apprentice, Simon, Riley’s out saving distressed citizens from foul-mouthed little devils – Grade One Hellspawn only, of course, per the strict rules of the Guild. Life’s about as normal as can be for the average demon-trapping teen.

But then a Grade Five Geo-Fiend crashes Riley’s routine assignment at a library, jeopardizing her life and her chosen livelihood. And, as if that wasn’t bad enough, sudden tragedy strikes the Trappers’ Guild, spinning Riley down a more dangerous path than she ever could have imagined. As her whole world crashes down around her, who can Riley trust with her heart – and her life?

A fantastic start to a series that anticipates to be an action packed and wicked ride!

Something that really stood out for me, was the narration. That's usually not something that "makes" a story for me, but I can't deny it held a certain appeal for me this time around. It's told in a duel perspective, one being Riley and the other Beck. That's not all that uncommon for ya, I love books told in duel perspectives... I think I've mentioned this several times before. But these characters couldn't be more different, and I don't just mean the age difference, so it made a for a distinct reading experience. Well, for me anyway... and this is my review right, so it's all about my opinion!

The world that Oliver created was intense... it's sort of freaked me out actually and yet the grittiness of it made it strangely fascinating. Like the whole reanimation thing... having these zombie slaves... how absolutely nefarious is that. Just digging someone up... doing a little black magic, and ta-da mindless mule. Absolutely nefarious yet at the same time it was intriguing. And I can't fail to mention the demons. I'm hoping that I won't be running into one of those things in a dark alley anytime soon... although I wouldn't mind having one of the smaller ones for a pet!

Characterization was great. Riley although at times was inconsistent, I think that is what made her realistic. Especially at her age, I know I didn't know "who I was" when I was a teen, and I can't expect Riley to have it all figured out. Heck, if I'm being honest with myself, I still don't have clue. Well rounded and realistic... that's what I like. Beck was probably my favorite character of them all... he's got some issues, some "real deep down, you're going to have to deal with that shit, before it messes you up big time" issues. He's flawed, and that what I loved about him. I even Harper, the biggest asshole of all time, intrigued me... and that is saying a lot. Usually I'd just be rooting for the guy to get his head eaten off of something.

I'm really looking forward to reading the rest of the series, and getting a better understanding of the Guild itself... and figuring out the complete truth behind what Riley's dad was working on... I know there's got to be more than what was touched on this time around.

Demons, kicking-ass, cute boys... yes please. Did I mention the cute boys?