The Story is About   +  young adult

Falling Under by Gwen Hayes

Falling Under by Gwen Hayes

Release Date: March 1, 2011
Publisher: NAL
Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: 324
Source: ARC from Publisher
Interest: Debut Novel
Challenge: 2011 Debut Author Challenge
Buy the Book: Amazon

Theia Alderson has always led a sheltered life in the small California town of Serendipity Falls. But when a devastatingly handsome boy appears in the halls of her school, Theia knows she's seen Haden before- not around town, but in her dreams.

As the Haden of both the night and the day beckons her closer one moment and pushes her away the next, the only thing Theia knows for sure is that the incredible pull she feels towards him is stronger than her fear.

And when she discovers what Haden truly is, Theia's not sure if she wants to resist him, even if the cost is her soul.

This book was totally not what I was expecting. Definitely a lot more dark and wickedly twisted than I ever would have expected, yet I think that is why I liked it to much. Under was a complete creep-fest... faceless beings, skeletons... stitched together people... rivers of tears. I had those huge eyes... O_O ... and the expression of "no f-ing way!" it was awesome.

The characters in this novel were extremely well written. Everyone of them had truly unique qualities that made them very hard to forget. Theia's friends Donny and Amelia aka Ame (how to you say that anyway... like "Amy" or "Aim"?) couldn't have been more different not only from each other but from Theia as well, and for some reason that worked incredibly well. Donny, what can I say about her, she is hilarious! Those girls were some good friends! I want me some friends like Donny and Ame! And I also loved Varnie! If you read this novel for one reason, read it for Varnie!

I'm not going to lie... Haden and Theia... the whole "stay away from me, I'm dangerous" I thought, oh please not this again... and I can honestly say, it's not like that again. There was a little insta-romance, Theia falls for Haden hard and fast, even though the guy is jerk. Yet, I loved how that gave Theia this whole other personality. She was assertive and sure-footed when it came to Haden, I liked her much better that way. So somehow the insta-romance worked for me. I mean it's not like she hadn't already met the guy in her dreams! I felt like they already had a "relationship" before they started interacting in-real-life.

The plot while a little slow in the beginning, will slap you in the face when you least expect it. I had that huge eye thing going on again... O_O... yeah just like that.

An excellent debut! Didn't realize this one was going to be a series, but I am certainly looking forward to the next installment. This is one wickedly twisted love story!