The Story is About   +  TIME

Dear Story Siren: BEA Edition

I few weeks ago I posted about Armchair BEA and also asked readers attending BEA to submit questions if they had any. I do my best answering the questions below. Please remember that I'm not a BEA expert, and I've only attended once, so I'm sure there are things I don't know about. If you have something to add, please do in the comments section! I can use all the help I can get!



How long are the lines for getting your badge for BEA?

I have no idea! I picked my badge up early, I believe it was on Monday or Tuesday, (although BEA is three days this year to Tuesday wouldn't be early!) so I didn't really have to wait. I imagine that the day of the exhibits it gets pretty crazy, if you can go early I'd recommend it!

Also, don't forget your printed registration with the bar code and your ID! If you are under 18 you have to have special permission to attend the conference or must have a chaperone.



Do you have any tips for networking at BEA?

Don't be shy! That was my big problem last year.

Look at people's badges! (If you recognize the blogger introduce yourself!)

At the publisher booths it's a good idea to introduce yourself and your blog. Let them know what types of books you are interested in and ask them about their upcoming titles! Present them with your business card! But don't interrupt them if they are talking to someone else! I know that seems obvious, but you'd be surprised.



It's my first time going what to except.

Expect to be overwhelmed!

(You can read about my experience last year: Day One, Day Two, Day Three, Day Four, Day Five)



I am not attending BEA, but I was wondering if it was appropriate to ask a blogger friend to hand out business cards for me if they meet someone who might be a good fit with my blog.

As long as you trust your friend to present your blog in a professional manner and get your business cards into the hands of the right people, go for it!



From what I experienced last year, it seems like there are a lot of in-booth giveaways that aren't listed on BEA's site. How do you know what books are going to be given out at what time? Thanks!

It's a good idea to pick up the daily program they give out. You won't be able to miss it, there are a dozen girls handing them out. Look in there. They usually mention if there is going to be special times for galley distributions. Two titles I can think that they advertised in there last year: Clockwork Angel and Beautiful Darkness.

With other titles, it really a right place and the right time kind of thing. Although if you ask sometimes the pubs will let you know when they will be putting galleys out.

If you see a stack of books out, don't assume they are for the taking. Always ask! They might be sitting there for an upcoming signing!



I saw you mention on twitter that you will be asked for a donation after every signing. I went to BEA last year and I was never asked, nor did I see any place for donations. In fact, this is the first I'm hearing about this. Can you explain the donation process a bit further? Thanks!

You aren't physically asked for a donation, there are donation boxes at the beginning of every line in the autograph area. I think most people just look past them.

I believe all proceeds from the donations go to the Book Industry Foundation.



How did you pack for this event? I know it sounds silly but I'm not sure what size suitcase to bring, what types of clothes to bring, etc.

I have no idea what size suitcase you'll need. I think that is something your going to have to figure out yourself!

As far as what clothes to bring, it will depend on what you are planning on doing. As far as the expo you'll want to bring something comfortable but not too casual. Don't wear a pair of ripped jeans and a stained t-shirt! I wore linen khakis last year and a nice shirt. Comfortable shoes is a must, you will be doing a lot of walking. I wore a nice pair of sandals. Forget about heels... that is crazy talk. You don't have to wear business casual, but you want to look presentable. Although there was a guy last year walking around in his underwear so apparently anything goes!

Bring your camera. Your phone. And chargers for both! Business cards & mints. Nothing is quite as unprofessional as chomping on a wad of gum while trying to talk to someone. But no one wants bad breath either... mints! They are your friend.



How many books are you allowed to take? What does it cost to go or get the books?

Don't bring books to BEA.



Is there any events I should know about, and sign up ahead of time?

The Author Breakfasts are something that I really enjoyed last year. You'll need to sign up for those with your BEA registration.

BBC is also something that every blogger should attend. It's a great way to network with publishers and let them know you are serious about what you are doing. Plus it sounds like there is going to be some great information and panels there this year. Also a great way to meet your fellow bloggers!



Have a question about BEA?