The Story is About   +  TIME

Review Policy

Thank you SO much for checking my review policy! I appreciate you taking the initiative to find out my reading preferences!

Updated: December 2010.

What you can expect from my reviews.

I use the term "review" very lightly. I don't like to call myself a book reviewer, I prefer the term Book Blogger. I'm not interested in doing a critical analysis of a novel. A literary analysis sounds like work... I read for enjoyment, for entertainment. The moment that my blog/reading starts feeling like "work" I have to admit, I probably won't be doing it.

My reviews mostly consist of my thoughts and feelings about the novel read, as a result, my reviews are very subjective. If those are not the types of reviews you are looking for/prefer to have from a book blogger, this is probably not the place for you. There are book bloggers that do wonderful objective, analytic reviews, I advise you to seek them out!

My reviews are also honest, I will not compromise my integrity as a book blogger. I review every novel that I read, so please be aware that those sometimes include negative reviews. I don't take pleasure in negating someone's work, but as stated above my reviews will be my honest opinion. My reviews include cover art, a synopsis of the novel*, my personal thoughts about the book, a numbered rating and publication details. I also try to post my reviews on GoodReads and Amazon.

*All summaries/synopses are taken from Amazon.com, Goodreads.com, the jacketflap, or the publisher's website.



I am currently accepting review copies and review pitches. However, I am very selective in the titles I accept for review. Special consideration will be made:

  • for publicists/third parties that I have worked with before
  • for authors I have worked with before
  • for 2011 YA & MG debut authors
  • if the title was one I was planning on requesting

I do not respond to each individual review request. If you don't hear back from me in 72 hours, it is fair to assume that I am not interested in reviewing the title. I check my junk/spam folders regularly to catch any emails that may be delivered there by mistake. I do not mind getting mass emails, I know that sending an individual email to each blogger can be time consuming. However, emails that begin with "Dear (blank space), " or "Dear much appreciated Book Blogger" will most likely be an automatic delete. I would rather not be addressed at all, then be addressed so informally.


Types of novels accepted.

The Story is mainly a Young Adult literature blog. Genres that I prefer:

  • paranormal
  • fantasy
  • romance
  • chick lit
  • contemporary fiction
  • historical fiction
  • mysteries/thrillers

I do not usually accept:

  • nonfiction: autobiographies/biographies/memoirs
  • science fiction
  • horror
  • titles with religious undertones

I will not currently be accepting any Adult literature. I will be accepting a limited number of Middle Grade literature.

You can see a complete list of titles I've reviewed, here.

Series: I do not prefer to read a series out of sequence. If you have a review request that is part of a series I have not read, I do ask that you provide a copy of each of it's predecessors. This will allow for a more effective review. At this time, I am more likely to accept a series, if it is the first or the second novel. Currently I am not inclined to start a series that has several (more than 2) titles previously published.

I can accept e-books for review, although hard copies will take precedence. I am not currently accepting self-published novels. I will not read and critique your unpublished novel.



When I accept a novel to review:

It does not guarantee that the novel will be read, or that I will post a review.

Novels that I request personally will have precedence over all other titles. Second precedence will go to those novels that were accepted via a review request/pitch. Novels that are received unsolicitedly will mostly likely go on the back burner, it will depend on my reading schedule and interest, as to whether the title will be read and reviewed. If I have no interested in reading the title, it will be passed along to another blogger or donated to my library.

How long will it take for a review: I try to read the review titles that I receive in a timely manner but I do have time constraints. If the book is an ARC, I will try to review the book in the month surrounding its release date, in most cases before the book is released or shortly after. I cannot currently promise a review by date.



Interviews/Guest Posts

I am happy to host authors for an interview or a guest post.

If you are interested in doing an author interview, I do request that a copy of your novel be sent with ample time to read before the questions need to be submitted.

If I am not familiar with your work/with the authors work, I do require the option to read the title before I will agree to an interview or a guest post.

I do not host freelance writers on The Story. If you are from "online college" or "go college"... or whatever else and you have an article you want me to post and share with my readers, forget about it. Don't waste your time emailing me.



Giveaways

I'm happy to host a giveaway on The Story.



Traffic Details:

As of December 2010, this blog currently receives 50,000+ visitors a month, with 105,000+ page views a month, has an Alexa rank of 340,825 (among the highest of young adult book blogs), a Google Page Rank of 5 and a over 4700+ subscriptions in various feed readers. The top five visiting countries are the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Brazil and Australia.

There are over 1,500 posts at The Story with over 32,000 comments on those posts.



Disclosure: Almost all of the books I receive for review are provided by the publisher or the author. I do not accept/receive monetary compensation for my reviews.

I am currently an affiliate with IndieBound, Amazon, Book Depository, and Google. Any compensation acquired from these program would go back into maintaining the blog itself in the following ways, that include but are not limited to:

  • domain name
  • blog design
  • prizes (gift certificates/books)
  • travel expenses for author signings
  • etc.

For more information about me personally click here.