The Story is About   +  young adult

Frenemies

Frenemies by Alexa Young

Released: May 13, 2008
Publisher: HarperCollins Publishers, HarperTeen
Age Group: Middle Grade/Young Adult
Pages: 245

Avalon Green, blond and beautiful, and Halley Brandon, dark-haired and breathtaking, have been best friends since forever. The one thing that they’ve always had in common is fashion. The girls are getting ready to start eighth grade after their summer apart. Avalon has planned a huge party celebrating their friendship, but when Halley arrives home from her summer at art camp the girls realize that something is different.

The girls have grown apart during the summer. Or perhaps they have just discovered who they are and are coming into their own. Either way, when their disagreement reach epic proportions, a dissolution of the friendship is written up. They take out all the stops to get back at each other, everything from verbal bashing to public humiliation.

Will the girls be able to look past everything they’ve put each other through to become best frenemies?

First off props to Alexa Young for giving me a signed copy of her book. And just in case you readers are wondering if that at all holds some kind of bias over my reviews, it doesn’t. I like to write positive reviews, but if I don’t like a book. I’m not afraid to say it. Now on to my review! I had read some let’s say mediocre reviews for Frenemies, so I wasn’t exactly sure what to think. But I actually really liked Frenemies! I read on my day off and I couldn’t put it down. I have to admit I was laughing out loud throughout the book, I’m glad I read it at home. Alexa seems like such a fun and energetic person and you can totally see she puts all of that into her writing. The lady cracks me up! And the story has relevance, you’ve all seen the girls and guys for that matter who were childhood friends, and then realize that maybe they are going in different directions. I’m sure it wasn’t played out as dramatic as this story, but that is what makes it so entertaining. I think readers of Poseur and Melissa Walker’s Violet on the Runway would enjoy this book. It’s very fashion orientated, but I thought that aspect was fun! My fashion exploits tend to run in the t-shirt and jeans department, what can I say. I am really looking forward to reading the next book in the Frenemies saga, Faketastic!

Frenemies will be released May 13, 2008! So, don’t forget to grab a copy!