The Story is About   +  young adult

Nightwalker: The Warlocks of Talverdin

Nightwalker: The Warlocks of Talverdin by K.V. Johansen

Release Date: March 2007
Publisher: Orca Book Publishers
Age Group: Middle Grade/Young Adult, ages 9 and up
Pages: 196

“After his guardian dies, Maurey is demoted from student to unpaid servant at his grammar school and bullied because of his black hair and eyes, which make him resemble the sorcerers who once inhabited the island. When it is discovered that Maurey is indeed a descendant of one of those sorcerers, or Nightwalkers, he is sentenced to be burned alive. He and his young rescuer flee for the Nightwalkers’ hidden kingdom”

Summary from bookflap

Why I haven’t heard more about this series, I don’t fully understand. Being a fan of fantasy I’ve read more than my share and to find such a well written fantasy novel that is relatively unknown is always a surprise.

Although the novel doesn’t have the outstanding depth of other fantasy greats like Eragon and Harry Potter, I wouldn’t discredit Johansen’s story telling ability. Her world of Nightwalkers and sorcery is just as if not more entertaining than its lengthy counterparts. It would have been easy to fully immerse myself and read the entire novel in one sitting if I would have actually had the time to do so!

It’s faced paced which is always a plus with me and the elements of action, humor, adventure! The characters were likable and witty without seeming phony. It was just overall a good novel and an enjoyable read. I’m excited to start the next book.