The Story is About   +  young adult

Fabulous Terrible: The Adventures of You

Fabulous Terrible: The Adventures of You by Sophie Talbot

Release Date: June 1, 2008
Publisher: Chooseco
Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: 231

“Oh my God. Emily, I got in!!!”

“Trumbull Woodhouse! THE most exclusive, most expensive, most amazing all-girl boarding school has just accepted YOU! It’s the school that turns out famous CEOs, notorious movie stars, and even a Nobel prize winner. And you? You’re just the girl from Hatterly, South Carolina. Just some orphan kid with a dysfunctional foster family and a secret.

What secret? You see things. Things from the future. Whole scenes, actually– like movies with your brain, only they turn out to be real. You used to think everyone got them... but then people started to think you were crazy. So you stopped talking about them, and now your episodes are getting worse. How are you going to hide them living with a bunch of strangers 24/7?

You try to stay below the radar and fit into your new life, that’s how. But an unknown enemy tries to undermine your every effort to belong. Meanwhile, you begin to suspect your new alma mater has a past as strange and difficult as your own. A society sworn to uphold the founder’s deepest secrets has become divided. A war for power seethes just under the campus’s placid calm. And a mysterious missing book of predictions is about to chance your world forever...”

I was really disappointed when I found out this book was not a “choose your own adventure” book, but merely a novel written in the second person. I was so disappointed that I had to stop reading, to stew/pout/sulk over my disappointment. I was expecting to have at least some interaction within the novel.

Thankfully the second person narration wasn’t as distracting as I thought it would be, but I still think the story would have been more effective told from a first person perspective. Okay, so maybe I’m still bitter about it not being a “choose your own adventure” novel, but I was really excited about choosing my own adventure.

The plot itself was interesting, although I found it to be slow at times. The most action happens in the last twenty pages or so, making the ending fly by for me. The writing itself was excellent, I was really impressed. Good characters, check. Eerie mystery, check. Entertaining, check. Despite my lackluster review, I’ll most likely be picking up the second novel in this series.