The Story is About   +  TIME

Book Blog Etiquette

Updated 12/28/09

Have you ever held the door open for some that had their hands full? Do you apologize when you accidently bump into someone in the hallway? If you answered yes, then I’ll ask you why? Is it because it’s the “right” thing to do, the “polite” thing to do? Let’s talk about etiquette.

etiquette >noun: the code of polite behavior in a society.

It seems as though these days blogs are everywhere. It’s almost impossible not to stumble upon one while you are surfing the Internet. And is it just my imagination, or are there a ton of book blogs out there!? But how many blogger’s are aware of blog etiquette? I personally think that “blog etiquette” is subjective. Not every blog is the same, and not every blogger is the same for that matter. So, I’m sure that everyone has their own ideas about what is wrong and what is write right. Here’s what I think:

(Instead of addressing all blogs in general, I’ll be referring to book blogs only.)

Be careful with your content. Even though your book blog is “your” blog, be mindful about posting too much personal information. Your audience is looking for a specific topic, in our case the topic is books. On the other hand it’s nice to know a little bit about the person doing the reviews, just don’t go overboard.

Don’t steal someone’s content. Don’t copy and paste someone’s review and post it as your own! I hope everyone knows that this is wrong. Also be aware that content isn’t just limited to reviews. Remember people work very hard on their entire blog, not just their reviews. For instance it takes me hours to compile my New Reads list, it would be offensive to me if someone copied it and published it as their own.

Be creative! With a blog being specific to a topic it’s hard not to have the same or similar content as other book blogs. Take an idea and make your own twist on it. For example, author interviews... I have Author Tales, Liv’s Book Reviews has Bit’s N’ Pieces, The Book Muncher has Who’s RAD. They are the same idea but we’ve all taken it and made it our own.

Unfortunately, once an idea is out there it isn’t necessarily exclusive to you, anymore. Which brings me to my next point.

Give credit where credit is due. If you get an idea from another blogger give them the credit they deserve. Be sure to mention where the idea originated and link to that place. Maybe you’ve heard the saying “imitation is the sincerest form of flattery” and while it is flattering, it’s also frustrating when you get the shaft. And don't just steal another bloggers feature! It's one thing if you email and ask, and they accept. But don't just decide you like something and start posting it with the same name. Even if you do link to the other person. When in doubt ask.

With your reviews, don’t be afraid to have an opinion.You don’t have to like a book just because Reviewer 1 or Reviewer 2 thought it was great, it’s YOUR opinion, use it! Most importantly remember that people are always going to have different opinions and to be respectful of those said opinions. Not everyone has to think the way that you do, be respectful of that.

Give someone a heads up! I always appreciate it when people let me know if I’ve made a mistake. I’d rather have someone mention to me when I need to make a correction, rather than realize it later when it’s been up for months and I feel like an idiot. I do proof read, spell check twice and re-read many times, but I’m human and I make mistakes probably more so than the next person. On the same topic be sure to check the spelling and grammar in your posts, because it’s a reflection on your credibility... whether we like it or not.

But what about the other end of blogging? The Blog reader.

Let’s talk about comments.

Try to post a comment that is relative to the blog post. If it doesn’t pertain to the post, maybe it would be better to email the blog owner (unless of course you can’t find an email address) or leave a comment in a c-box, if there is one. (I use to have a c-box, but deleted it after a slew of spam)

If you have your own blog don’t blatantly promote yourself on someone else’s. You’re only shedding a negative light on yourself. Don’t get me wrong, I love to support other book blogs and other bookish people just remember to be courteous and mindful to others. Don't leave four or five links with every comment! If you have a Blogger ID that should suffice. It gives you the option to list your "websites"!

If you don’t have anything nice to say don’t say anything at all. If you don’t like it then move on. And be careful what you say, you can’t convey tone when you are leaving a comment, something that you meant in a joking nature may not be taken that way. Don’t be rude and childish either. I’ve had my share of rude anonymous comments. Take my advice and just delete them, they aren’t worth your time and effort to convey a response.

As a blog owner, if you have comments on a post, try to leave a comment back! It's just a nice way of letting your commenters know you appreciate their effort! (I really need to work on this part!)

Really it all boils down to being respectful and responsible. But like I said this matter is subjective, don’t take what I’ve posted here as rule or regulation, they are merely suggestions and observations on my part. I don’t do everything I’ve mentioned above every single time like I should, but I’m going to try to improve that.

You should also be sure to check out a post that Adele of Persnikity Snark recently did: "A Guide to YA Blogging" which was a collation of recommendations from bloggers, authors, and publicists.