The Story is About   +  young adult

Need

Need by Carrie Jones

Release Date: December 23, 2008
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Age Group: Young Adult, 12 and up
Pages: 320

Zara collects phobias the way other high school girls collect lipsticks. Little wonder, since life’s been pretty rough so far. Her father left, her stepfather just died, and her mother’s pretty much checked out. Now Zara’s living with her grandmother in sleepy, cold Maine so that she stays “safe.” Zara doesn’t think she’s in danger; she thinks her mother can’t deal.

Wrong. Turns out that guy she sees everywhere, the one leaving trails of gold glitter, isn’t a figment of her imagination. He’s a pixie—and not the cute, lovable kind with wings. He’s the kind who has dreadful, uncontrollable needs. And he’s trailing Zara

I’m a fantasy junkie, so of course I absolutely devoured Need, in one setting. I could not put it down. When I first read the synopsis for the book, I was instantly intrigued. It sounded like something right down my alley and it ended up being much more than I anticipated!

I had a few things pegged before they happened. {Slight Spoiler Alert} I mean how could you not with these context clues...

“... wolfs down one of those lunch room cheeseburgers...”

“... could huff and puff and blow my house in.”

Then there was another about hair falling over eyes like a dog... hmmm, not to mention all the talk about werewolves.

{End of Spoiler Alert}

But it didn’t bother me that I had it figured out. Because there was a great deal more that surprised me. That sly Carrie Jones, she had me so fixated figuring out what I already new, I didn’t see what was coming!

The characters were wonderfully developed and three dimensional. The plot was intense! It definitely kept me turning the pages. Driven by my own need, I just had to know! There were a few minor details that bothered me. Which I’ll refrain from divulging because unfortunately that would be a huge spoiler. Sorry! It was story telling at it’s finest. Well, if you like elements of fantasy, suspense, romance, and mystery in your novels as I do.

I really enjoyed Jones’s writing and will definitely continue to pick up her novels!