The Story is About   +  young adult

Persistence of Memory by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes

Persistence of Memory by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes

Release Date: December 9, 2008
Publisher: Delacorte/Random House
Age Group: Young Adult, ages 12 and up
Pages: 212

Sixteen-year-old Erin Misrahe just wants to be like everyone else in her new school. But Erin has more to worry about than passing AP Chemistry or making friends. In times of stress, she has always been overcome by her alter ego, Shevaun, whose violent behavior wreaks havoc on those around her. Erin can never remember anything about these episodes, and she’s grateful to have been spared them for a while.

But when a protective friend comes back into Erin’s life, he insists that Shevaun is a vampire who actually exists apart from Erin. Shevaun has dangerous allies, like the handsome witch Adjila—and they’re determined to sever Shevaun’s connection to Erin once and for all.

Persistence of Memory is my first exposure to the writing of Amelia Atwater-Rhodes. I am actually really impressed with her writing but I find the overall premise of the novel wearisome. Parts of the novel where perfectly captivating, such as the connection between Shevaun and Erin. Through this connection Erin posses all these abilities that most “normal” people wouldn’t, she’s knowledgeable of several languages, and she has fighting skills that no untrained 16-year-old would know.

The aspect of characterization is probably my biggest complaint. I think the characters would have been fascinating had they been well developed. Atwater-Rhodes just kept skimming the surface, I was waiting for her to take the plunge and it never came. The supposedly “strong” relationship among the four main characters was so vague, it was unnerving! I just wanted to yell at the book!

At times the plot was confusing. I was able to follow it without any trouble, but I wouldn’t be surprised if younger readers become lost! Perhaps had the novel been longer and more developed, I think I would have more positive things to say about it.