The Story is About   +  paranormal

The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong

The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong

Release Date: July 1, 2008
Publisher: HarperTeen
Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: 390

Chloe Saunders sees dead people. Yes, like in the films. The problem is, in real life saying you see ghosts gets you a one-way ticket to the psych ward. And at 15, all Chloe wants to do is fit in at school and maybe get a boy to notice her. But when a particularly violent ghost haunts her, she gets noticed for all the wrong reasons. Her seemingly crazed behavior earns her a trip to Lyle House, a center for 'disturbed teens'. At first Chloe is determined to keep her head down. But then her room mate disappears after confessing she has a poltergeist, and some of the other patients also seem to be manifesting paranormal behavior. Could that be a coincidence? Or is Lyle House not quite what it seems...? Chloe realizes that if she doesn't uncover the truth, she could be destined for a lifetime in a psychiatric hospital. Or could her fate be even worse...? Can she trust her fellow students, and does she dare reveal her dark secret?

I think I’m one of the last people to read this! I’ve heard nothing but how good this novel is, and that I must read it ASAP. When I received a copy of The Awakening, the next novel, I knew that I needed to read The Summoning, right away. (I’m almost glad I waited to read it, so I could start The Awakening right away! What an ending!)

This book is everything I was hoping for and more! I’ve never read Armstrong before, I really want to read her adult fantasy series, but I just haven’t had a chance and when I heard she was doing a YA series, I just knew that I HAD to read it.

This was a very good first in a series. The characters and the plot-line were introduced impressively, I didn’t ever feel like the story was inadequate through getting to know the characters. I love the whole story line of teens thrown in the house that have these extraordinary powers that most aren’t even aware of.

The writing was marvelous, the dialogue spirited...no pun intended! The characters were also fascinating. Chloe and Derek were by far my favorite. And I’m hoping to see more of these two in future... especially Derek!

This novel has a little bit of everything, action, adventure, fantasy, suspense. It was my type of book! A very surprising cliffhanger ending! (Glad I’ve got the next one right here...)