The Story is About   +  TIME

Stuff about BEA

BEA is something I know very little about. I've been turning twitter to get some information. But I still have more questions. A fellow blogger, Kate of The Neverending Shelf, and I decided it might be a good idea to start discussing BEA.

What is BEA?

BEA is short for Book Expo America, which is the largest book publishing event in North America... I mean this is the daddy of them all. NYC will be hosting BEA until 2012. This year BEA is May 25-27th, this is the first year it's actually during the work week, instead of the weekend.

I thought I was speaking on a panel for YA Book Blogs (along with three other bloggers, James, Chelsea and Devyn, and our moderator, author Jessica Burkhart) and I've told a ton of people that I am... but come to find out, it actually hasn't been accepted yet, so... I could be a big fat liar. But I'm really hoping that everything will turn out well and the panel will end up being a part of BEA.

This is will be my first visit to NYC and my first time attending BEA. And because I am a very anal person, that has to plan everything months in advance, I've already started thinking about this trip and finalizing travel details.

I think I may have a hotel and a roommate figured out. Which is a pretty big chunk that's already done. GO ME! Has anyone reserved their hotel rooms yet? Is it to early?

Transportation is going to be another big thing. Are you going to BEA? What do you recommend?

Right now I am weighing my options...

  • Driving
  • Railing
  • Flying
I'm not really interested in driving unless I can find a group of people to carpool with. The train is a definite possibility. The train ride is 17 hours, not really looking forward to that, and most of the traveling time will be done during the early am hours. Is it just me or does sleeping out in the open on a train alone... seem a little uncomfortable. I don't want to show up to NYC all red eyed and paranoid from my lack of sleep on the train ride. I'm sure I'll be nervous enough as it is. One advantage to the train however, is that I don't have to pay extra for my baggage. The plane while the most expensive of the three, I'm sure, might be what I'll end up going with.

If you've been to BEA before or NYC before, I'd love to hear some suggestions. I'm planning on taking a few days while I'm there and seeing the sites.

If you are going to BEA, I'd love to know about it and possibly meet up! Email me!

If the panel does get finalized...

  • will I need to register?
  • do you have any topics you'd like us to discuss?
  • are these panels a big deal, do people even go to them?
If you want more information on BEA, you can check out the website:
  • pre-register, so you can know when to register!
  • find a discounted hotel
I guess this post has a lot more questions that information, but I have no idea what is going on, I'd love to get some feedback and find out if anyone else is planning on going.