The Story is About   +  YA Connection

YA Connection

Week of October 3- 9, 2009

The YA Connection is a collaborative column that was originally started by Kristi (The Story) and Steph (Reviewer X). Steph is currently on a extended hiatus, so I'm swinging it solo for the time being. In it can be found links from around the YA blogosphere, including, but not limited to, contests links, author blog links, review links, and miscellaneous news pertaining to the age group.

Author Musings

Maggie Stiefvater (Ballad) posted about why you don't wand to ask to be a character in her book. No really you might think you would, but believe me it it not worth it! :)

Saundra Mitchell (Shadowed Summer) has this whole Halloween themed Trick or Treat 2009, theme going on this month. Some fabulous authors have stopped by sharing their true ghost stories... there will even be one from yours truly.

Diana Peterfreund (Rampant) has a fantastic post about Bad Boys vs. Nice Guys! And this is only Part 1!

Jackson Pearce (As You Wish) is bad at things... no really she said so herself. Although I can think of a a lot of things she is really good at.

Yeah so, Lisa McMann (Fade) is working on a new book! Can I get a SQUEEEE!

We interrupt this regularly scheduled program to bring you an important update:

So unless you happen to be living under a rock this week, you might have heard about the FTC fiasco. Basically the Federal Trade Commission wants to regulate recommendations made on blogs, and yes that includes book blogs. Stating that books received for review can be considered compensation for a review. And we are liable to disclose where the books came from (which I already do anyways) and if we don't follow these guidelines we can be charged $11,000 per violation. And there was also something said about sending the books back... yes really.

My opinion: I have no qualms in disclosing where I received a book from, as I mentioned above I do that already. The fact that the FTC thinks that an ARC is compensation for a positive or favorable review is ridiculous. But let's not get our pitchforks and burning torches out... yet. I'm sure the FTC has a lot of work to do pertaining to these new guidelines, they better anyway, pitchforks and burning torches are on stand-by if they start with the funny business. If it comes down to it, I just won't accept copies for review. But I'm not going to stop blogging.

If you want some more information/opinions about the FTC diabolical, feel free to check out these links:

  • Publishers Lunch on the FTC by Julie Kagawa
  • FTC FAQ for Book Bloggers by The Boston Bibliophile
  • Dear FTC here's how it is out in the real world by Chasing Ray
  • On the FTC Guidelines & The Book Smugglers by The Book Smugglers
  • On Open Letter to the FTC by Galleycat
  • Interview with the FTC's Richard Cleland by Edrants
  • FTC: bloggers must disclose freebies on reviews by MSNBC
And now back to your regularly scheduled program already in session:

Blogger Blurbs:

Adele of Persnickety Snark reviewed Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick. "Nora herself is a little blah but that's how she's set up from the beginning. At time she resembled a blindfolded nincompoop as she wandered through the truly bizarre situations that were occurring to her."

Lauren of Lauren's Crammed Bookshelf reviewed The Everafter by Amy Huntley. "Overall, there is not a single word that could describe just how much I loved this novel and how I ached for it not to be over when it was."

Bookworm Readers reviewed Demon Princess by Michelle Rowen. "The story was smooth, the characters were amazing, and the shadow-world that she invented was jaw-droppingly unique and cool!"

Reggie of The Undercover Book Lover reviewed Bite Me by Melissa Francis. "Bite Me! is a hilarious and interesting read, full of suspense and deceit."

Natalie of Mindful Musings: A Book Review Blog reviewed Bloodline by Kate Cary. "The character of Mary Seward was rather well-developed, but the rest of the cast paled in comparison to the characters present in Stoker's classical gothic masterpiece."

Forever Young Adult reviewed A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray. "Libba Bray writes in a style that I LIVED for when I was a YA. I like to call it the American’s Idea of Smart and Witty British People (AISWBP)."

Sarah from Sarah's Random Musings reviewed My Invented Life by Lauren Bjorkman. "Bjorkman captured teens perfectly and had a great sense of humor."

Sarah of GreenBeanTeenQueen reviewed The Tear Collector by Patrick Jones. "While the premise for this vampire book is unique, it failed to work for me. It's supposed to be a paranormal book, but I never really got the paranormal aspect."

Chelsea of The Page Flipper reviewed Magyk by Angie Sage. "If you like folk tales or mythology, I think you'll be a fan of this one, too."

Alea of Pop Culture Junkie reviewed The Good Neighbors: Kin by Holly Black & Ted Naifeh. "The Good Neighbors: Kin (Book One) combines two of my current obsessions, young adult literature and graphic novels!"

Things you should definietly check out:

The PAYA blog. PAYA: Bring YA to PA! They are also having an auction! All money raised will be used for PA libraries!! Help out a good cause, if you can!

Do you want to be included in YAC? Shoot me an email with your blog url. I have a folder in my Google Reader called YAC. Posts are chosen at random. Please use the subject: YAC.

Are you an author that has an event coming up? Let me know and I can mention it on a future post of YAC!

Have a suggestion of something you'd like to see on YAC? Or something you've seen that you'd like me to include every time, let me know.

Thanks! Have a great weekend!

Contests:

Feel free to fill in your contest info in the Mister Linky.

Please use the Mister Linky as instructed.
Your Name: Put your prize here.
Your URL: Put a DIRECT link to your contest.