The Story is About   +  TIME

Author Interview: Lindsay Eland

Today I have an interview with debut author, Lindsay Eland. Her debut novel Scones and Sensibility will be out December 22, 2009.


Did you put any of yourself into the character Polly?

I most certainly did! I am a hopeless romantic just like Polly and often (probably more often than not) wish that I had been born in a different time period. I am also guilty of acting out bits of Anne of Green Gables when I was younger, and I’m convinced that there is something very romantic about homemade baked goods!

Do you have any “must haves” with you while you’re writing? (Liked delicious baked good... do you know how hungry this book is making me!)

Oh yes. My “must haves” are an iced mocha latte always beside me, and some kind of chocolate readily available. The chocolate could be anywhere from the messy yet elegant chocolate éclair to the not-so-elegant-but-just-as-delicious oreo cookies and milk. I also like to have black Helix pens (.5 is my favorite) and my notebook with my brainstorming and outlining somewhere close by.

Describe your writing in three words.

Fun, humorous, heartwarming

What’s the most challenging aspect of writing? Easiest?

The most challenging part of writing for me is the blank screen. I have ideas aplenty and have a good brainstorming/outlining process that I go through…but when it comes to staring at the white screen and knowing that I have to now write it all down, I sometimes panic or just think of an excuse to go and clean the bathroom (but that’s when I’m really desperate, cause I hate cleaning the bathroom) . The easiest part for me is revising and rewriting. I love doing puzzles, and that’s one way I look at my revisions, as finding exactly how the puzzle of the story fits together…and it’s fun to rearranged, delete, change, and add to the words that I’ve already written. Revision to me is where the real magic of writing takes place!

What’s the most rewarding aspect?

Just the very basic aspect of creating something—the creative process—is very rewarding for me. I found out when I started having my kids and was a stay-at-home mom that I needed to be creative in at least one thing during the day or when evening came I would feel kind of blah, and yicky.

Also, it is so incredibly rewarding to know that my words are going out into the world and that others will be able to read them…rewarding and terrifying, actually.

Is there a genre that you’d like to write? Is there a genre you’ll probably stay away from and why?

I would love to write a fairy tale retelling/fantasy…something along the lines of Shannon Hale, and Alexandria Bracken’s debut novel, Brightly Woven. And though I love, love, love YA paranormal, I don’t think I’ll ever write it. It’s something that I almost enjoy too much that trying to write it would be frustrating and take away the magic it has for me.

What is your favorite treat? (cinnamon rolls, a good walnut danish, scones, blueberry muffins, pumpkins rolls...?)

Chocolate éclairs or good-old-fashioned chocolate cake with buttercream icing…yummmm

If you could travel back in time for one year, what time and place would you choose? And if you could only take 3 things with you, what would they be?

I would most definitely choose to go back to Regency England…just like Polly . But before I left I would make sure that I brought along:

1. Deodorant cause I can’t imagine how anyone did not smell absolutely horrendous and I’m actually really surprised that anyone had any kind of relationship with another…simply because of the smell

2. Enough paper and Helix pens to last me a year…because as much as quill pens are elegant and romantic, I couldn’t write near as fast as I’d want to and that’s very frustrating

3. A good toothbrush and toothpaste…I think that speaks for itself

And I did want to put down an espresso machine, but of course there would be no plugs…so I’d just research and make sure that there was some way I could get some every single day. Knowing this could be enough to persuade me not to travel back into time until the invention of plugs Yes, I am that pathetic.

What's something surprising about yourself that most people wouldn't think true?

Hmmm, I have a very weak stomach. I don’t like roller coasters, swings, curving roads, sitting in the back seat of a car, and airplanes. All of these are certain methods of making me sick. Even watching my kids on the swings can sometimes turn my stomach.

What is your favorite Jane Austen novel?

Oh, that is so hard! I really adore Pride and Prejudice and Northhanger Abbey, but I’d have to say that Persuasion is probably my favorite. Captain Wentworth is a swooner!

What's next for you?

I have a contracted book 2 with Egmont though I’m unsure of what that book is going to be right now. But no matter what, I will continue to write every single day and create new stories and characters and places that hopefully will continue to delight readers.

Thank you so much for having me, Kristi! It was such an honor! And happy reading to everyone!


Thanks so much Lindsay for stopping by! Don't forget to check out Scones and Sensibility!