The Story is About   +  Jen Nadol

Author Interview: Jen Nadol

Jen Nadol

Books: The Mark

(January 19, 2010)

Website
Blog


The Mark

"Cassandra Renfield has always seen the mark—a glow around certain people reminiscent of candlelight. But the one time she mentioned it, it was dismissed as a trick of the light. Until the day she watches a man awash in the mark die. After searching her memories, Cassie realizes she can see a person’s imminent death. Not how or where, only when: today.

Armed with a vague understanding of the light, Cassie begins to explore her “gift,” seeking those marked for death and probing the line between decision and destiny. Though she’s careful to hide her secret—even from her new philosophy-obsessed boyfriend—with each impending death comes the temptation to test fate. But so many questions remain. How does the mark work? Why is she the only one who sees it? And finally, the most important of all: If you know today is someone’s last, should you tell them?"


Describe your writing in three words.

Oh gosh. That’s so hard, like trying to describe what kind of person you are. I’m going use other people’s words since they’re probably better judges: direct, believable, tight.

Do you have a specific time or place that you write?

I always write in my home office, though I’ll jot notes on paper scraps or the iPhone if lines or plot ideas come to me randomly. I have about 10-15 hours of scheduled writing time each week (when sitter comes) and sometimes get in a little at night too, after bedtime.

What’s the most interesting comment you have received about The Mark?

I haven’t had that many readers yet, so not tons of comments. One of my relatives, who clearly doesn’t read YA, asked if I’d be doing the illustrations too. And another said, “Well, that’s really, uh…dark.” My favorite so far was from a boy who read an ARC – we think passed on by a teacher – and wrote a really, really complimentary email to my publisher. It was so amazing that he took the time to do it and so neat to hear his totally unsolicited feedback.

What was the most challenging aspect of writing The Mark?

Learning how to edit. It’s where I feel I’ve grown the most as a writer over the last year+.

If you could travel back in time for one year, what time and place would you choose? And if you could only take 3 things with you, what would they be?

Huh. I would definitely take my 3 boys. They’re still so little, there’s no way I could leave them for a year. I couldn’t travel too far back because there’d have to be diapers and stuff. I don’t do the whole wash-out-a-dirty-diaper thing. How about I go back to the summer before last. We rented a house in Italy for a week and I wouldn’t mind hanging out there with them for a year. Truthfully, though, I’d just as soon stay right where and when I am. I’m pretty happy here.

What's something surprising about yourself that most people wouldn't think true?

I never read a YA book until mine was sold as one. Now it’s all I read.

What's next for you?

Hopefully more books!

My second one is finished and with my editor now – fingers crossed!

Thanks so much for having me, Kristi!


Thanks so much Jen for stopping by!