The Story is About   +  peace

Author Interview: Lisa McMann

Lisa McMann

Books:

  • Gone

    (February 9, 2010)

  • Fade

    (2009)

  • Wake

    (2008)

website
blog

See Lisa on Tour!!


Gone

Janie thought she knew what her future held. And she thought she'd made her peace with it. But she can't handle dragging Cabel down with her.

She knows he will stay with her, despite what she sees in his dreams. He's amazing. And she's a train wreck. Janie sees only one way to give him the life he deserves--she has to disappear. And it's going to kill them both.

Then a stranger enters her life--and everything unravels. The future Janie once faced now has an ominous twist, and her choices are more dire than she'd ever thought possible. She alone must decide between the lesser of two evils. And time is running out...


Gone is the last book in the trilogy. When you started writing Wake, did you plan on it being part of a trilogy?

I planned on a series of some sort. I had written WAKE and was nearly done with FADE when Simon Pulse offered a 2-book deal. But for writers out there -- I knew they might just want WAKE as a stand-alone, so I knew I was potentially wasting my time writing FADE. I wrote FADE for myself, because I knew the story of Janie wasn't done. I'm so happy that my editor thought the same thing. After WAKE was in tip-top shape and my editor had read the first draft of FADE, we started talking about what was next. And we agreed that one more book would do it. What we *didn't* want was to turn the series into some sort of Nancy Drew mystery series. I love Nancy Drew, don't get me wrong -- but Janie is not really about that. So three books it was, and decided quite early on in the process, before WAKE even came out.

Describe Gone in three words.

Going, going...Gone. (heh)

What's the most interesting comment you've received about your books?

I've had several people tell me they are dream catchers too. Hey -- I can dig it. Who am I to say they aren't?

If you could travel back in time, where would you go, and what three things would you take with you.

I wish I could time travel to a book. If I could, I'd go into Little Women. Incidentally, did you know that the author, Louisa May Alcott, was addicted to opium? How interesting is that? Anyway. With me, I'd bring my trusty time travel ring so I could get back home, a large suitcase so I could steal Jo March's typewriter and anything else that would look nice in my house, and I'd bring tons of limes for poor Amy so she didn't have to suffer that mess any longer.

What's an interesting fact about yourself that would surprise most people?

When I was in high school, I lettered in two activities. Chamber orchestra (violin) and...wait for it...Dutch dancing. (Hey, I was from Holland, Michigan. What do you expect?) I never bought a letter jacket for obvious reasons. My mom still has the letters.