The Story is About   +  young adult

Firespell by Chloe Neill

Firespell

by Chloe Neill

Release Date: January 5, 2010
Publisher: Signet
Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: 256
Source: Publisher/Author
Interest: Debut Author
Challenge: 2010 Debut Author Challenge

Lily's parents have sent her to a fancy boarding school in Chicago filled with the ultra-rich. If that wasn't bad enough, she's hearing and seeing bizarre things on St. Sophie's creepy campus. Her roommate, Scout, keeps her sane, but keeps disappearing at night. When one day Lily finds Scout running from real-life monsters, she learns the hard way that Scout is involved in a splinter group of rebel teens.

They protect Chicago from demons, vamps, and dark magic users. It's too bad Lily doesn't have powers of her own to help. At least, none that she's discovered yet...
Firespell is author Chloe Neill's first novel for young adults. It is also the first novel in the Dark Elite series.

This is a great introduction to the series! Great introduction to the characters and the world. The ending is satisfying and set up nicely for a continuation.

Although this was a quick read, I found the plot to be slow moving, mostly in the first half of the book. It takes Lily a while to finally uncover some of the secrets behind St. Sophia's. I found some of the plot elements to be superfluous, "the puzzle pieces falling into place." I didn't really need to be told that the pieces were falling, let me figure it out... and make sure I'm going to. But overall, I really enjoyed the story!

I especially Lily and Scout! Those girls are dynamite! They were easy to relate to, and I can imagine they would be my friends! I even found the Brat Pack to be entertaining! I loathed them most of the time, but I think that is what they are there for.

The supernatural elements are really interesting! The two societies, the good guys, the bad guys... a lot was revealed in this novel, but I'm assuming there is still a lot to find out. Witches, wolves... spells... sign me up for more.

Great debut for fans of the supernatural!