The Story is About   +  space

Author Interview: Claudia Gray

Claudia Gray

Books:

  • Evernight
  • Stargazer
  • Hourglass
Website

Hourglass

After escaping from Evernight Academy, the vampire boarding school where they met, Bianca and Lucas seek refuge with Black Cross, an elite group of vampire hunters. Bianca must hide her supernatural heritage or risk certain death at their hands. But when Black Cross captures her friend--the vampire Balthazar--all her secrets threaten to come out.

Soon, Bianca and Lucas have orchestrated Balthazar's escape and are on the run, pursued not only by Black Cross, but by the powerful leaders of Evernight. Yet no matter how far they run, Bianca can't escape her destiny.

Bianca has always believed their love could survive anything--but can it survive what's to come?


You write about vampires, which is a huge trend in literature right now. As a writer what trends do you see for the future?

I think it’s a mistake to predict this stuff, really – we can guess and try to suggest everything in the world, but in the end, the only people who will determine the next trend are the readers. I don’t think YA and the paranormal are going to part ways for a long time, though.

Describe your writing in three words.

Paranormal romantic adventure.

(I always think the “adventure” gets left out of the descriptions – not just of my books, but many in the same genre – but I think that’s such a key part of it!)

What the most interesting comment you've received about the Evernight series?

I’m most intrigued by the comments from people who have really connected with the supporting characters. As much as I love Bianca, Lucas and Balthazar, I have a lot of affection for the others too, so I’m always delighted and surprised when readers talk about how they have something in common with Raquel, Vic or even Mrs. Bethany.

Probably the most surprising comment I’ve ever gotten was from one reader who felt that Ranulf’s bowl haircut was “hot.” There really is someone for everyone.

Do you think having an online presence, blog/myspace/website, has helped you as an author?

Definitely. I don’t know that it has necessarily changed the way that I write, but being in touch with the people who enjoy the books, and hearing what it is that interests them the most – I can’t even tell you how encouraging that is. When I’m knee-deep in edits, or mired in revisions, and sort of overcome with that feeling that the writing will NEVER EVER be done, it’s completely amazing to be able to check into Facebook and see what’s going on with the readers and recharge with that energy. I’m perpetually blown away by how smart, caring and enthusiastic they all seem to be. Or maybe I just have extra-awesome readers.

Is there a different genre you'd like to write? One that you'll stay away from?

I definitely hope to write in other genres someday. Right now I’m seriously considering doing some paranormal romantic suspense for adults, or possibly more mainstream women’s fiction. I don’t know that there’s any genre I’d promise never, ever to write – I like reading almost everything, so I could imagine writing almost anything! – but I suspect hard SF isn’t going to be on the menu.

If you could travel back in time for a year, where would you? And what three things would you take with you?

I’d probably want to visit the early Roman Empire, for a few reasons: I’ve always been fascinated by that era, I have a lot of questions about life then that I could finally get answered, and also – significantly – that was one of the few times in history (more than 100 years back, anyway) where you could be sure of being able to take a hot bath. (You cannot overestimate the importance of this for a year-long trip.) With me, I would take some kind of universal translator that would allow me to handle the Latin, a healthy supply of antibiotics and a digital camera with an enormous memory card and some kind of solar-charging battery. I’d want to record everything I could!

What are you working on now? Can you give us any hints?

Right this second, I’m mostly wrapped up in HOURGLASS promotion, but as soon as we get that one launched, I will dive into a stand-alone book that will come out from HarperTeen in late 2011 (a few months after AFTERLIFE, the final book in the EVERNIGHT series proper, and a few months before BALTHAZAR, his spinoff novel.) I’m really excited about it, because it’s a major change of pace for me. It’s the story of Tess Davis, an English servant girl in 1912 who is plotting to get away from the wealthy, selfish family she works for while they’re on a voyage to the United States. She wants to be free to live her own life – and to get away from the lecherous young lord of the manor. But this is not her biggest problem. Upon boarding the ship to America, she meets Alec Marlowe – handsome, rugged, mysterious, wealthy and yet so obviously troubled that she knows it would be foolish to fall for him. Of course, she does. This, too, is not her biggest problem. Alec turns out to be a werewolf, and he’s being pursued by the Brotherhood, a group of violent, controlling, misogynistic werewolves who want to bring Alec under their power … and are willing to kill Tess if she gets in the way. You’d think that would be her biggest problem, wouldn’t you?

Her biggest problem is actually that she’s on the RMS Titanic.

It is definitely a little different for me, but I fell in love with the story and hope readers will too.


Thanks so much Claudia for stopping by!

Check out the remaining stops on the tour:

March 6 - The Book Cellar
March 7 - Confessions of a Wandering Heart
March 8 - Park-Avenue Princess