The Story is About   +  TIME

Dear Story Siren (5)

Blogging 101 volume 1


Dear Story Siren,

I see around the blogosphere some ideas that people put forward but discontinue with. Some of these are really good ideas and I'd like to carry them on, how should I go about carrying on these ideas people have left behind? Should I ask them permission and from there go forwards?

Anonymous

Dear Anonymous,

I suppose it would depend on the idea and the situation... I would recommend emailing the blogger first as a courtesy.

The internet is a huge place and so is the blogosphere. No one can be omniscient to everything that is happening on every blog. Not surprisingly people are going to have similar ideas, but it's always best to ask the blogger in question if you've seen them facilitate that particular idea.

Story Siren



Dear Story Siren,

Aloha!!=)

I have a question about tagging/labeling blog posts.

How detailed should I be? What is the best way to select the most efficient words/phrases?

Mahalo Nui,
ck.twilighter

Dear CK. Twilighter,

This is something you really have to determine yourself. I know for me, I don't use very detailed labels for my posts. Mainly due to the fact that I have A LOT of labels and for that reason I don't list them anywhere on my blog. If you are going to use your labels as a reference for your readers to find specifics within your blog, then I would advise being more detailed.

As for your second question I would suggest picking labels that best describe the novel and then be uniform throughout all of your posts. I try to label the genre, the author, the intended audience, my rating, and topic/subject. Try to find a system that best works for you and the context of what you will be using the labels for.

blogger, reader, dog lover
Story Siren



Dear Story Siren,

I'm wanting to allow links for people to put their reviews of the same book underneath my blog post that way people can get a chance to read others reviews of the same book. I'm not entirely sure about this Mr Linky thing or if just putting the links at the bottom of the post, as I use blogger, is a good idea. I know that the links on the actual post can be deleted but how much control do you have over the Mr Linky links?

Thanks, R

Dear R,

Mister Linky is very easy to use, there are different levels within the system itself that allow you to add this feature more easily. There are paid subscriptions available for the higher levels. There are also other free alternatives to Mister Linky such as inLinz. I'm not sure about inLiz but with Mister Linky you have complete control over the links, you can edit them or even delete them, I assume it would be similar for InLinz.

You can always do a trial and see if it's something you want to continue!

Story Siren



Dear Story Siren,

When you do post with multiple pictures (like your New releases post) how do you get the pictures to post side by side in blogger? I've tried doing this with several codes and they never work, so I end up having to post my pictures in a vertical linel which then ends up making the post longer.

Anonymous

Dear Anonymous,

I actually edit my photos before I load them in blogger. It is possible to drag them "side-by-side" but I find it much easier to edit everything in a photo-editing software and then upload onto blogger.

Not tech savy,
Story Siren



Dear Story Siren,

I entered and won a contest at someone's blog, it's been three months and I still haven't recieved the prize. Should I say something?

Anonymous

Dear Anonymous,

YES. I'm sure it's not intentional... well I hope it's not.

Take my blog for instance. I host a lot of contests but the majority of the prizes are provided by and sent out by a third party. I can only assume that the prizes are being shipped out. Sometimes I receive shipping confirmation and tracking numbers, but most often I don't. I always appreciate someone letting me know!

Deep in bubble wrap,
Story Siren



Hi Kristi,

I'm just curious, what are you opinions on extra entries for contests, and 'must follow' contests? Do followers even matter anymore if you are just following a blog for a contest but never actually reading it?

-E

Dear E.

This is kind of a touchy subject with me and I don't mean to offend anyone with my personal feelings.

I don't mind extra entries for certain things. If you want to give extra entries for spreading the word, I think that is justifiable. If you want to give extra entries for your current followers, I'd say that is cool too. But... I don't think you should make people become a follower to enter a contest. If they are just following your blog because of your contests, then no it doesn't really matter anymore. When that happens it just becomes a popularity contest, who can have the most contests to get the most followers. That whole dynamic really bothers me. I'm not going to deny that having a contest will draw visitors, but it's not going to keep people coming back to your blog.

Honestly the majority of the blogs I actually read, rarely if ever host contests. Contests can be a great thing, in the hands of the right blogger.

Story Siren



Dear Story Siren,

Do you make any money off your blog by running ad's? I've thinking of doing that on my site (even though I don't have near the followers that you do).

Anonymous

Dear Anonymous,

Do you mean the Google Ads? If so, not really. As an estimate I made 19 cents yesterday. But... if I keep making that 19 cents every day for a month, I'll have a little over $5 and that could be shipping for a book or two!

Still poor,
Story Siren



Dear Story Siren,

I've been in a kind of funk lately. I've been reading lots of great books, but I'm finding it harder to participate in memes, and even post reviews. Have you ever had a blogging funk? If so, what did you do to get out of it? Do you maybe have any tips to help me know if its just time to call it quits?

Thanks,
(Maybe Ex) Book Blogger

Dear (Maybe Ex) Book Blogger,

Funks happen.

Take a break!

Everyone needs one now and again. Unplug!

I've had to take periodic breaks. I think it's something everyone should do. Even if it's an unofficial hiatus, choose a time period that is good for you, one week, two weeks, a month. If you still don't feel like blogging... then don't.

Don't be afraid to quit. So it didn't work out, so what! Maybe blogging just wasn't for you. There are other ways you can share your love of reading. Join a book club! Or even start one!

You have to do what you feel is the right thing for you, no one can tell you.

Of course we'll be disappointed to see you go, but happy that you are happy.

Story Siren



Hi Kristi,

I've heard alot about Book Fairys on the blogosphere that bring you books for IMM and I was wondering what are they and how do you acquire one? Are they only limited to people in the USA?

Thank you,
Anon

Dear Anon,

I always get a lot of emails asking about my book fairy when she comes for a visit... ie when she sends me a box of books. I can't speak for anyone but myself, but my Book Fairy isn't actually a fairy, but a real person (which you probably already assumed!). She actually contacted me, it was like hitting the lottery!! I just started calling her a book fairy, it's a term of endearment I've given her. My Book Fairy's name is Heather and she works for a book wholesaling company. She is super fabulous and periodically sends book my way that she thinks I might be or knows that I am interested in.

And that is the mystery behind my "The Book Fairy"

As for other people mentioning book fairies I have no idea.

My fairy rocks,
Story Siren



If you have a question... blog related, personal, book related... submit it below to be featured on a future post of "Dear Story Siren"

If you've already submitted a question and it hasn't been answered, don't fret! I will try to answer every question!

PLEASE DO NOT LEAVE COMMENTS IN THE BOX BELOW. The form below is to submit a question for the "Dear Story Siren" posts, not to leave a comment. Feel free to leave a comment in the "comments section" Thank you!