The Story is About   +  young adult

Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins

Hex Hall

by Rachel Hawkins

Release Date: March 2, 2010
Publisher: Hyperion
Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: 336
Source: Publisher/Book Fairy
Interest: Debut Author
Challenge: 2010 Debut Author Challenge

Three years ago, Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch. It's gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie's estranged father--an elusive European warlock--only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters.

By the end of her first day among fellow freak-teens, Sophie has quite a scorecard: three powerful enemies who look like supermodels, a futile crush on a gorgeous warlock, a creepy tagalong ghost, and a new roommate who happens to be the most hated person and only vampire on campus. Worse, Sophie soon learns that a mysterious predator has been attacking students, and her only friend is the number-one suspect.

As a series of blood-curdling mysteries starts to converge, Sophie prepares for the biggest threat of all: an ancient secret society determined to destroy all Prodigium, especially her.
I've wanted to be a witch forever. Long before anyone uttered the words Harry & Potter. You see, there was this awesome movie called Teen Witch. Have you seen it? Well the girl finds out she is witch, turns her little brother into a dog, gets to meet a famous singer AND snags the most popular boy at school. All because she had magical powers. I so wanted to be a witch.

Perhaps that is why I loved this book so much, or maybe it's because Hex Hall is a laugh-out-load, fast paced and easy read. It could really go either way. The point is, however, that it was marvelous.

I've been trying to write this review for days. I'm not sure why I find it so difficult to explain why I find something so enjoyable, but for whatever the reason I do. Ask me why I don't like something, I can write you a list a mile long, but describe why I like it... I just do that's why!

It could be Sophie, the main character. She is just an enjoyable protagonist. She's caring, open-minded, a good friend, and she might be a little gullible at times, but that is what makes her so great. She isn't a perfect character, she makes mistakes and we get to laugh at her for it! Well sometimes.

Maybe it was the plot. I will admit at times it was a little predictable, but it was never slow. And I might have thought I knew what was going on, but Hawkin's really threw me for a loop. I'm sure it will leave you craving the next novel as much as I am.

Then again it was probably the writing. Simplistic and addicting.

I might not be able to vividly express why I thought it was amazing, but it just was. I'm so very much looking forward to the next novel and more of Sophie's adventure.