The Story is About   +  young adult

Other by Karen Kincy

Other

by Karen Kincy

Release Date: July 1, 2010
Publisher: Flux
Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: 336
Source: Publisher
Interest: Debut Author
Challenge: 2010 Debut Author Challenge
Buy the Book: Amazon

|Indiebound|Powell's|Barnes & Noble

Seventeen-year-old Gwen hides a dangerous secret: she’s Other. Half-pooka, to be exact, thanks to the father she never met. Most Americans don’t exactly roll out the welcome mat for Others, especially not the small-town folks of Klikamuks, Washington. As if this isn’t bad enough, Gwen’s on the brink of revealing her true identity to her long-time boyfriend, Zack, but she’s scared he’ll lump her with the likes of bloodthirsty vampires and feral werewolves.

When a pack of werewolves chooses the national forest behind Gwen’s home as their new territory, the tensions in Klikamuks escalate-into murder. It soon becomes clear a serial killer is methodically slaying Others. The police turn a blind eye, leaving Gwen to find the killer before the killer finds her. As she hunts for clues, she uncovers more Others living nearby than she ever expected. Like Tavian, a sexy Japanese fox-spirit who rivals Zack and challenges her to embrace her Otherness. Gwen must struggle with her own conflicted identity, learn who she can trust, and-most importantly-stay alive.

What a fantastic debut novel! I absolutely loved this world that Kincy created... Where 'Others' live among humans. It's 'normal' to see a centaur beside you shopping in the produce section at the grocery store. I mean wouldn't that be a riot! It was interesting to have a novel that included an array of mythological and magical creatures. So many times a novel is focused on one being, werewolves, vampires, fae... but Other is something unique. I'd love to hear about the research that Kincy did for this novel and all of the creatures that live in her world.

And not to mention it has one of my most favorite aspects of any novel. A love story. It's not your run of the mill 'boy meets girl' type of love story, which made me appreciate it even more.

Then on top of all that we have this murder mystery. And I can honestly say that I didn't see who the killer was until it was pretty much spelled out! I had my assumptions but they weren't totally correct. I love when an author can distract you enough with the story that the big revelation really is a surprise.

Kincy's character's are real and captivating. Especially the main character Gwen. I was angry at her initially for how naive and judgmental she was of 'Others' that weren't like her, but it made the story even more fascinating to watch Gwen's character grow. Although, I have to admit, I think Tavian was my favorite!

I can't wait to read more from Kincy!