The Story is About   +  novel

Guest Post Julie Anne Peters

Why you think it's important to write novels with LGBT themes and why you chose to do so?

Everyone needs to feel a place of belonging in the world, and this is especially true for groups who are typically oppressed and persecuted. Those who identify as LGBTQI have lived on the fringes of society for so long that it’s vital they see themselves represented in mainstream society. Finding “their” books on regular bookshelves gives them a sense of normalcy, validation and self-affirmation.

I write for queer audiences because that’s my community. I’ve always felt embraced and loved by my “family.” Knowing I’m not alone gives me a sense of safety and security, which I hope my books provide. It’s truly an honor and a privilege to give my gift of writing to young people who need it most – who need to see themselves reflected in contemporary culture. I also find my readers to be the most loyal fans in the world. Not a week goes by when my readers aren’t pestering me for a new book (in a good way :) .) As long as they keep reading, I’ll keep writing for them.


Julie Anne Peters has written several novels for children and young adults. Some of her young adult titles include: Luna, Between Mom & Jo & By The Time You Read This I'll Be Dead. Rage: A Love Story was nominated for the 2010 Colorado Book Award and was selected for the 2010 Rainbow Reading List by the American Library Association, and the 2010 Capital Choices Noteworthy Books for Children and Teens. You can learn more about Julie and her books at her website.