The Story is About   +  script

Author Interview: Kiersten White

Kiersten White

Books:

  • Paranormalcy

Website|Blog|Buy the Book



Evie’s always thought of herself as a normal teenager, even though she works for the International Paranormal Containment Agency, her ex-boyfriend is a faerie, she’s falling for a shape-shifter, and she’s the only person who can see through paranormals’ glamours.

But Evie’s about to realize that she may very well be at the center of a dark faerie prophecy promising destruction to all paranormal creatures.

So much for normal.

Summary from Amazon.com



Describe Paranormalcy in three words.

Please buy it.

Wait, that wasn't a description. How about:

Normalcy doesn't exist.

Do you have any must have's when you are writing?

For every book I write I have to have a Pandora internet radio station tailored to the mood of the book. Paranormalcy's was Hellogoodbye, with occasional switches to Paramore.

What were you like as a teen, did it have any influence over your characters in Paranormalcy?

I was kind of an intense teenager--pretty lonely, something of an insomniac, with a tendency toward being secretive and pretending to always be happy. So yeah, there are definitely themes of isolation and that desperation to belong in all of my YA books. I've moved on from the person I was then, but I remember how it felt to be there!

What has been the greatest moment as a debut author?

A few, really. My husband reading Paranormalcy for the first time and saying, "Kierst, this is really good." My mom holding the finished book in her hands and crying. My kids laughing with excitement over seeing their names in the acknowledgements. Those first few days after I got my deal, buzzing and floating in giddy disbelief that my dream was going to be a reality.

What are you working on now, can you tell us anything about it?

I just finished up edits on the sequel to Paranormalcy, Supernaturally. This fall I'll try to finish a new, unconnected novel, but for now I'm mostly...answering interviews, actually!

When you were writing Paranormalcy did you write for an intended audience?

My target audience is usually 12-18 year olds. Teens are just more fun to write for!



Thanks so much Kiersten for stopping by!!