The Story is About   +  publisher blogger interaction

Dear Story Siren: Special Dear Publisher Edition (Candlewick)

If you've visited The Story, you might be familiar with a feature I do occasionally called "Dear Story Siren." If you not familiar with the feature, basically readers submit questions... personal questions, questions about blogging, author interview, publisher interaction, reviews, etc. It's my way of sharing some of the things I've learned during my blogging adventure. That being said, I am in no way a blogging expert, but I'd like to think I've picked a few things up along the way.

A lot of the questions I get have to do with publisher interaction. This is something that I think is very important for a blogger that is actively receiving review copies from publishers. I know that at a blogger myself, I want to continue to improve those relationships and be as beneficial to the publishers and authors as I can. The majority of the time I don't know the answers to these questions. I have my assumptions, but who knows if those are correct.

In turn, I was inspired to do something a little different with "Dear Story Siren." I'll be doing a special edition of "Dear Story Siren" geared specifically toward blogger/publisher interactions. I've contacted several publishing houses with a set number of questions to be answered, and I'll be featuring a different publisher each post.

Past Dear Publisher Posts:

Penguin
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
HarperCollins
Bloomsbury & Walker
Egmont USA
Flux
Random House


Today's blogger/publisher interaction questions are from Candlewick.

(Candlewick Disclaimer: We try to fulfill as many requests as we can, but unfortunately we cannot guarantee all of them will be met.)



What should I include in my review copy request?

In your e-mail request to publicity@candlewick.com, please include the title of your blog, the blog’s URL, your preferred mailing address, # of followers, the title of the book you want to review and a line or two about why this book is appropriate for your blog. If your blog has a Facebook and/or Twitter page, please include the URLs as well.

When is the best time to post my review?

For new releases, post your review within a month after the publication date. There are no time requirements for backlist titles.

Do you want to be sent reviews of titles I've bought?

Yes! Please send links to those reviews to publicity@candlewick.com

Do you want to be sent reviews of titles that have been on the shelves for a while?

Yes! Please send links to those reviews to publicity@candlewick.com

Is it okay to have a contest for an arc that I've gotten from a publicists?

The ARC/Galley sent to any given blogger is solely for the purpose of review on that particular blog. Please send a separate request to publicity@candlewick.com with information about a contest or giveaway that you would like to host. If the request is fulfilled, we would supply finished books not ARC/Galleys.

How many months do you like to see someone blogging before they can request an advance readers copy?

We like to see established blogs that have been active for 6 months or more but it is not a requirement and all blogs are considered on a case-by-case basis.

What criteria do you look for before you will send book bloggers advance readers copies?

If the book seems like a good fit for the blog, we will try to fulfill the request. We don’t always send ARCs/Galley. Depending on what is available, we send ARCs/Galleys or finished books for Fiction titles and only finished books for Picture Book titles. We also encourage bloggers to include full disclosure in their book reviews.

When you send a copy for review, do you like us (book bloggers) to let you know it arrived?

No. Please contact us only if your copy did not arrive.

Do you want us (book bloggers) to send you links of our reviews that are negative?

Yes.

What if I can't get into a book that you sent me for review, do you want us (book bloggers) to let you know that we won't be reviewing it?

No. Bloggers are welcome to send the book to another blogger who may be interested in reviewing the title.

When is the best time to request an arc?

2-3 months prior to publication date for Fiction and 1 month prior for Picture books.

Do you like sites that promote sharing advance readers copies? (Example: ARC Tours)

Bloggers are welcome to share their ARCs/Galleys or finished books with other bloggers. If a blogger is interested in hosting a ARC/Galley tour on their blog, send a request to publicity@candlewick.com to pitch the tour idea.

Is it better to contact an author for swag (bookmarks, postcards, etc.) or should we ask the publicist?

Do not contact the author. Contact publicity@candlewick.com instead.