The Story is About   +  young adult

Paranormalcy by Kiersten White

Paranormalcy by Kiersten White

Release Date: August 31, 2010
Publisher: HarperTeen
Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: 335
Source: Author/Publisher
Interest: Debut Author
Challenge: 2010 Debut Author Challenge
Buy the Book: Amazon

Weird as it is working for the International Paranormal Containment Agency, Evie's always thought of herself as normal. Sure, her best friend is a mermaid, her ex-boyfriend is a faerie, she’s falling for a shape-shifter, and she’s the only person who can see through paranormals' glamours, but still. Normal.

Only now paranormals are dying, and Evie's dreams are filled with haunting voices and mysterious prophecies. She soon realizes that there may be a link between her abilities and the sudden rash of deaths. Not only that, but she may very well be at the center of a dark faerie prophecy promising destruction to all paranormal creatures.

This novel had me hooked from the first page. I mean with an intro like this how can you not want to read the rest:

“Wait- did you-- You just yawned!” The vampire’s arms , raised over his head in the classic Dracula pose, dropped to his sides. He pulled his exaggerated white fangs back behind his lips. “What, imminent death isn’t exciting enough for you?”

“Oh, stop pouting. But, really, the widow’s peak? The pale skin? The black cape? Where did you even get that thing, a costume store?” (quoted from ARC version)

If that doesn’t have you stifling a laugh and anxious for more... well you must have an incredibly boring sense of humor.. or you might be dead!

I think for a book described as a paranormal, I was expecting something a little more serious... and perhaps dark. But I should have known from those first lines that this book was going to be different! I think that’s why I liked it so much, it is definitely different.

Evie was such a great character. She’s innocent and completely ignorant... but it works. It’s the life that she’s lived, she’s always been sheltered and left in the dark. I think that made her character memorable. At least for me, I know it did. Evie stood out.

The prophecy thing... which I don’t really want to say much about, really took me for a loop. I was totally engrossed in what was going on with the agency and trying to figure out who the bad guy was, the prophecy sort of snuck up on me! The added mystery surrounding that, really added to the suspense of the novel!

A paranormal that is funny, engrossing and memorable... it can only mean one thing... AWESOME!

I can not wait to dig into book two and see what Kiersten has up her sleeve!