The Story is About   +  young adult

Please Ignore Vera Dietz by A.S. King

Please Ignore Vera Dietz by A.S. King

Release Date: October 12, 2010
Publisher: Knopf Books for Young Readers
Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: 336
Source: Accepted review pitch from author.
Interest: Author
Challenge: None
Buy the Book: Amazon

Vera’s spent her whole life secretly in love with her best friend, Charlie Kahn. And over the years she’s kept a lot of his secrets. Even after he betrayed her. Even after he ruined everything.

So when Charlie dies in dark circumstances, Vera knows a lot more than anyone—the kids at school, his family, even the police. But will she emerge to clear his name? Does she even want to?

Edgy and gripping, Please Ignore Vera Dietz is an unforgettable novel: smart, funny, dramatic, and always surprising.

I loved King’s The Dust of 100 Dogs, so I couldn’t wait to read her new novel Please Ignore Vera Dietz. And although this novel is nothing like Dust of 100 Dogs... it is just as awesome. It may even be better.

Vera... oh Vera. Where to begin to describe such a unique character. Vera is weird. Vera is spunky, Vera is real. I would totally want to be friends with Vera. Vera made this novel for me. She was the reason that I couldn’t put it down.

After reading the premise of this novel, I wasn’t sure how King would present the story... we know the best friend, Charlie is dead... did she just give us the story? No, she didn’t. We know that Charlie is dead... but we don’t know how Charlie died or why Vera hates him and loves him in the same breath. And so King takes us on a journey to unravel the mystery of Charlie and Vera.

It’s a heart-wrenching story.

I loved the glimpses from Charlie (beyond the grave) don’t ask me how it works it just does, and also Vera’s father... and his flow charts. There is some exceptionally well done dark humor in this book... and I can’t forget to mention The Pagoda. I’m not even going to try to explain The Pagoda, you just have to read it.

King is such a talented writer, and it couldn’t be more apparent than in this novel. I dare you to not be riveted by Vera’s story.

I wish I could write this novel a better review.

I know I use this word often... but wow... AWESOME.