The Story is About   +  young adult

The Red Umbrella by Christina Diaz Gonzalez

The Red Umbrella by Christina Diaz Gonzalez

Release Date: May 11, 2010
Publisher: Knopf Book for Young Readers
Age Group: Young Adult/Middle Grade
Pages: 288
Source: Publisher
Interest: Debut Author
Challenge: 2010 Debut Author Challenge
Buy the Book: Amazon

In 1961, two years after the Communist revolution, Lucía Álvarez still leads a carefree life, dreaming of parties and her first crush. But when the soldiers come to her sleepy Cuban town, everything begins to change. Freedoms are stripped away. Neighbors disappear. Her friends feel like strangers. And her family is being watched.

As the revolution's impact becomes more oppressive, Lucía's parents make the heart-wrenching decision to send her and her little brother to the United States—on their own.

Suddenly plunked down in Nebraska with well-meaning strangers, Lucía struggles to adapt to a new country, a new language, a new way of life. But what of her old life? Will she ever see her home or her parents again? And if she does, will she still be the same girl?

Based on the real events of Operation Pedro Pan where over 14,000 Cuban children were sent to the U.S. in the two year period between 1960-1962, this novel depicts the pain of losing one’s homeland and showcases the generosity of the American spirit.

The Red Umbrella is a fantastically written debut that had me on the verge of tears on several occasions.

I have to admit I was a little apprehensive to read this novel at first... I do enjoy reading historical fiction, but I knew this story would waken emotions that I'd have to deal with long after the book was over. To know that people struggled in the manner that Lucia and her family did, and I'm sure there were families who struggled much more, is utterly heartbreaking.

The first part of the novel takes place in Cuba. It's soon after Castro has taken over and you see the subtle changes that the country begins to undergo. Watching it change through the eyes of Lucia was even more powerful. She's so wrapped up in her life that she fails to see those changes happening around her, until she has a rather rude awakening. Not to mention losing her closets friends and even family because of the revolution. I can't imagine what the real families living during the revolution went through during these times. It made me extremely thankful and humble to live in the country that I do.

The second part of the novel takes part in Nebraska. This part of the novel fell a little bit flat for me. It just seemed that Lucia's adaption into the American lifestyle from her Cuban one was a bit understated. It happened so fast and so smoothly. I guess I was expecting more of a struggle. Not that I wanted to see Lucia and Frankie struggle anymore after every thing they had been through, but it just didn't seem very realistic.

Overall the novel was very engaging, I sat down to read a few chapters and ended up finishing the novel in a matter of hours. Although the subject matter of The Red Umbrella isn't the happiest... I'd say this is a novel about hope, love and courage. I'm looking forward to more novels from Christina!