The Story is About   +  Jana Oliver

Author Interview: Jana Oliver


Jana Oliver

Books:

  • The Demon Trapper's Daughter
Website | Blog | Twitter | | Facebook | Buy the Book



Riley Blackthorne just needs a chance to prove herself – and that’s exactly what the demons are counting on…

Seventeen-year-old Riley, the only daughter of legendary Demon Trapper, Paul Blackthorne, has always dreamed of following in her father's footsteps. The good news is, with human society seriously disrupted by economic upheaval and Lucifer increasing the number of demons in all major cities, Atlanta’s local Trappers’ Guild needs all the help they can get – even from a girl. When she’s not keeping up with her homework or trying to manage her growing crush on fellow apprentice, Simon, Riley’s out saving distressed citizens from foul-mouthed little devils – Grade One Hellspawn only, of course, per the strict rules of the Guild. Life’s about as normal as can be for the average demon-trapping teen.

But then a Grade Five Geo-Fiend crashes Riley’s routine assignment at a library, jeopardizing her life and her chosen livelihood. And, as if that wasn’t bad enough, sudden tragedy strikes the Trappers’ Guild, spinning Riley down a more dangerous path than she ever could have imagined. As her whole world crashes down around her, who can Riley trust with her heart – and her life?



Why did you set The Demon Trapper's Daughter in Atlanta, was there something specific about this place that you wanted readers to experience?

My previous series was set in London and the research trips always put a sizeable dent in my credit card. When I was pondering on the new series, my husband sagely suggested that I base it in Atlanta to reduce expenses. I said, “I don’t know. I mean, is there anything cool here?” As with most people, you never think where you’re living as being cool. I checked out some of the local sights and realized Atlanta was the perfect place for Riley and friends to have their adventure. Oakland Cemetery is just one of the amazing places in the city. So, as usual, my spouse was right on.

Riley is an independent, level headed teenager. What were you like as a teen, did it have any effect on how you portrayed your teen characters.

I was so not Riley, at least when it came to independence. I was an only child and I was kept under my mom’s thumb most of the time. It wasn’t until I was older that I developed that independent gene. So Riley is what I wished I’d been at seventeen: feisty and independent.

The demons were really wicked... were they based solely on your imagination, or did you draw inspiration from any time of folklore or mythology?

The demons are a construct of many different sources–Christian, Jewish and Muslim theology, classical mythology and my own wacked-out imagination. The small ones (Klepto-Fiends and Biblio-Fiends) are annoyances for the most part, but the Geo-Fiends (they can generate windstorms and earthquakes) are really scary. And an Archfiend? Oy! Now that’s one seriously scary demon. I honestly spook myself sometimes.

There are two very different, very delectable, boys in Riley's life... are you Team Simon... or Team Beck?

I will go for whomever Riley chooses. (How’s that for a safe, neutral answer?) Both guys have their pluses and minuses. Beck is good ol’ boy, but he’s got a dark side as well. Simon, who is deeply religious, has some very good points (he’s such a nice guy) but there are hidden flaws too. Oh, and I wouldn’t count Ori out of the picture, either. He’s got his own agenda when it comes to Miss Riley.

The Demon Trapper's Daughter is also being published in the UK as Forsaken. Between the two, which is your favorite title and cover?

LOL. You’re trying to get me in trouble, right? I have to say that the UK cover was my favorite (or favourite as they would spell it) because it was the first one I saw. However, the US cover has this cool Supernatural feel to it. So now it really depends on what mood I’m in. Both are really gorgeous in their own way so it’s hard to say one is better than the other.



And for all you fans of The Demon Trapper's Daughter:

The second books in the series (SOUL THIEF in the U.S. and DEMON TRAPPERS: FORBIDDEN in the UK) will be out in the fall!!!

I can't wait!