The Story is About   +  young adult

The Liar Society by Lisa & Laura Roecker

The Liar Society by Lisa & Laura Roecker

Release Date: March 1, 2011
Publisher: Sourcebooks
Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: 361
Source: ARC
Interest: Debut
Challenge: 2011 Debut Author Challenge
Buy the Book: Amazon

Kate Lowry didn't think dead best friends could send e-mails. But when she gets an e-mail from Grace, she’s not so sure.

To: KateLowry@pemberlybrown.edu
Sent: Sun 9/14 11:59 PM
From: GraceLee@pemberlybrown.edu
Subject: (no subject)

Kate,

I'm here…
sort of.
Find Cameron.
He knows.
I shouldn't be writing.
Don't tell.
They'll hurt you.

Now Kate has no choice but to prove once and for all that Grace’s death was more than just a tragic accident. But secrets haunt the halls of her elite private school. Secrets people will do anything to protect. Even if it means getting rid of the girl trying to solve a murder...

Pink hair! Pink Hair! Pink hair! I love the pink hair!

So this book was not at all what I was expecting... for some reason I was thinking more along the lines of a fluffy read... I know the best friend is "dead" and that would probably suggest a more serious tone... but for some reason it didn't come across that way to me. But WOWZA this book was so much more than a fluffy mystery. Actually I wouldn't use the word fluffy to describe it at all. (And I don't mean to imply that fluffy reads are bad, because I do LOVE them!)

Who would have thought that I wouldn't be able to stop turning the pages, that it would be a constant guessing game... I had lots of WHAT!?! moments... and I can't forget to mention the awesomeness of the main character Kate.

I don't pick up many YA mysteries I'm not really sure why... actually I can't even think of any YA mysteries off the top of my head, well besides Y.S. Lee's Agency series (which I love) I don't really go out of my way to find them, but I can remember a point in my life when mysteries were my favorite genre! I mean I think I've read every Boxcar Children mystery book... if there are more YA mysteries like The Liar Society you can guarantee I'll be picking them up as well. And if the MC is as cool as Kate... well then, it'll be an even bigger treat.

Kate has an awesome voice. You can't help but be drawn into her story. She's smart and stubborn... infinitely cool in her own way without really trying to be (although she doesn't know it) I wish I would have been more like her. She seems very realistic and it only adds to the appeal of the story.

The story itself was a big guessing game. Whenever I thought I had something figured out, I didn't. And the ending totally threw me for a loop. I guess I was expecting the "obvious" ending and I should have known better. Start reading this book when you have plenty of time to dedicate to it, because you won't be able to stop turning the pages until you find out what exactly is going on.

The Liar Society was face paced, awesomely written, with great characters and an ever greater story-line. I can't wait to see what is in store for our dear Kate next!

Those Roecker gals made a fan out of me!