The Story is About   +  young adult

The Vespertine by Saundra Mitchell

The Vespertine by Saundra Mitchell

Release Date: March 7, 2011
Publisher: Harcourt Children's Books
Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: 293
Source: ARC
Interest: Author
Challenge: YA Historical Fiction Challenge
Buy the Book: Amazon

It’s the summer of 1889, and Amelia van den Broek is new to Baltimore and eager to take in all the pleasures the city has to offer. But her gaiety is interrupted by disturbing, dreamlike visions she has only at sunset—visions that offer glimpses of the future. Soon, friends and strangers alike call on Amelia to hear her prophecies. However, a forbidden romance with Nathaniel, an artist, threatens the new life Amelia is building in Baltimore. This enigmatic young man is keeping secrets of his own—still, Amelia finds herself irrepressibly drawn to him.

When one of her darkest visions comes to pass, Amelia’s world is thrown into chaos. And those around her begin to wonder if she’s not the seer of dark portents, but the cause.

The Vespertine is an excellent mix of historical fiction and paranormal! I was a big fan of Saundra's debut novel, Shadowed Summer, and I've eagerly been awaiting to read more by her. The Vespertine does not disappoint!

Saundra has a distinct writing style, and I absolutely love it. It was even more apparent in The Vespertine. I was instantly drawn into the world and fascinated by its characters. I was especially fascinated by Amelia. For some reason I felt an instant kinship with her. She's quiet and very perceptive of her surrounding, spunky and independent, she would totally be BFF material! And the girl has visions of the future at sunset, how freaggin' awesome is that!

And I don't want to fail to mention the very mysterious Nathan, who never failed to intrigue me! (Although I have to say I did have a little crush on the Thomas, who was every the gentleman.) All of the characters in this novel were so very well fleshed out... it was easy to picture them and their environment and just feel like I was there in the story.

Awesome characters. Beautifully written.

And the ending. WOW. Saundra gets me with her endings every time, and the shit really hit the fan with this one... so did not see that coming at all. I will say it again, wow!

You should definitely add this one to your reading piles!