The Story is About   +  young adult

Tempest Rising by Tracy Deebs

Tempest Rising by Tracy Deebs

Release Date: May 10, 2011
Publisher: Walker Books
Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: 352
Format: Advance Reader Copy
Source: Publisher
Interest: Debut Author
Challenge: 2011 Debut Author Challenge
Buy the Book: Amazon

Tempest Maguire wants nothing more than to surf the killer waves near her California home; continue her steady relationship with her boyfriend, Mark; and take care of her brothers and surfer dad. But Tempest is half mermaid, and as her seventeenth birthday approaches, she will have to decide whether to remain on land or give herself to the ocean like her mother. The pull of the water becomes as insistent as her attraction to Kai, a gorgeous surfer whose uncanny abilities hint at an otherworldly identity as well. And when Tempest does finally give in to the water's temptation and enters a fantastical underwater world, she finds that a larger destiny awaits her—and that the entire ocean's future hangs in the balance.

Tempest Rising is FINtastic!! Sorry I couldn’t resist! But seriously it was awesome.

It’s no secret that I’m a fan of mermaids. I mean if my blog name didn’t tip you off, well it should have. Not that sirens are technically mermaids, but “the story mermaid” didn’t quite have the same ring to it as “the story siren” but anyway back to the review. I might be a little biased when it comes to this book because I do love mermaids, but it was actually a really spectacular story.

I loved the characters and the setting. The evil sea witch (totally not as “little mermaid” as it sounds) and her minions. The fresh spin on the mythology was really quite refreshing. I really enjoyed reading this one and getting lost in Tempest’s world... er worlds. If only I knew how to surf I would love to catch a wave with Tempest and her friends.

The only thing that I was a little iffy on was the situation with Tempest’s mom, or rather what happened when they met. It was so abrupt. I guess perhaps I was looking for a little more closure for Tempest, I felt like she deserved that and then she ended up getting cheated out of it.

I think one thing that paranormal fans will like is the steamy love triangle in this one! Both guys have their qualities that make them a good match for Tempest, it was hard to decide who I preferred, but in the end I think she made the right decision.

I would love to read more about Tempest and her adventures and watch her to come figure out her “powers” and of course I’d like to see a little bit more Kai!

Great story, great characters and a beautiful cover!!