The Story is About   +  young adult

Every Thing On It by Shel Silverstein

Every Thing On It by Shel Silverstein

Release Date: September 20, 2011
Publisher: HarperCollins
Age Group: Middle Grade/Young Adult
Shelfability: Acquire/Borrow
Pages: 208
Format: Hardcover
Source: Publisher
Interest: Author
Challenge: None

Have you ever read a book with everything on it? Well, here it is, an amazing collection of never-before-published poems and drawings from the creator of Where the Sidewalk Ends, A Light in the Attic, and Falling Up. You will say Hi-ho for the toilet troll, get tongue-tied with Stick-a-Tongue-Out-Sid, play a highly unusual horn, and experience the joys of growing down.

What's that? You have a case of the Lovetobutcants? Impossible! Just come on in and let the magic of Shel Silverstein bend your brain and open your heart.
I've been a fan of Shel Silverstein since my early days of reading. I remember reading Where the Sidewalk Ends, A Light in the Attic, and Falling Up! When I received a copy of Everything On It for review I was instantly taken back to those days in elementary school where my view of poetry expanded beyond the world of rhyming poems. I remember being fascinated by the worlds he created in a just few simple lines.

As an adult reading the poems in Every Thing On It, I was still fascinated! I giggled just like I did as a small girl. I marked my favorites and read them over and over again.

Two poems stood out to me in this book. The Clock Man, which you might not appreciate as much as a child, but understand all to well as an adult! Also, Happy Ending. Which I’m going to share below.

Happy Ending? by Shel Silverstein

“There are no happy endings.
Endings are the saddest part,
So just give me a happy middle
And a very happy start.”

A wonderful book of poems for children and adults alike! I’ll never be to old to read Shel Silverstein!