The Story is About   +  young adult

Unraveled by Gena Showalter

Unraveled by Gena Showalter

Release Date: August 31, 2010
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: 576
Source: Publisher/ARC
Interest: Series
Challenge: None
Buy the Book: Amazon

|Barnes & Noble

Since coming to Crossroads, Oklahoma, former outcast Aden Stone has been living the good life. Never mind that one of his best friends is a werewolf, his girlfriend is a vampire princess who hungers for his blood, and he's supposed to be crowned Vampire King—while still a human! Well, kind of.

With four—oops, three now—human souls living inside his head, Aden has always been "different" himself. These souls can time-travel, raise the dead, possess another's mind and, his least favorite these days, tell the future.

The forecast for Aden? A knife through the heart.

Because a war is brewing between the creatures of the dark, and Aden is somehow at the center of it all. But he isn't about to lie down and accept his destiny without a fight. Not when his new friends have his back, not when Victoria has risked her own future to be with him, and not when he has a reason to live for the first time in his life….

Summary from Amazon.com

One of the reasons I loved the first novel in this series, Intertwined, was because it was the ultimate paranormal read. You like vampires, it’s got em. Werewolves? Got those too! Fairies, witches, goblins, demons... you betcha! It’s like a creature overload and I love it.

Unraveled didn’t disappoint.

Intertwined was more of an introduction novel... you meet Aden, lean about his ‘abilities’ and you meet the three other characters; Victoria, Mary Ann and Riley. Unraveled is a lot more action! And revelations! I thought I knew these characters after book one but that was only the tip of the iceberg. Whew... I’m a little heartbroken at some of those revelations...

I have to admit that, I was absolutely enthralled in Riley and Mary Ann’s story. Aden and Victoria, who? Not that the parts about Aden and Victoria were boring, there were quite the opposite actually, and that ending, holy wow. But I was just more interested in reading about Riley and Mary Ann, and I did not get nearly enough of them.

Even though this book is a little on the chunky side, it took me no time at all to read. Mainly because I could not put it down. Something was always happening to our fabulous foursome... There are so many plot threads flying around, yet Showalter manages to weave them all back together. You’d think I wouldn’t be surprised by the magnificence of it, I read so many of her novels.

And the ending... I can’t even describe my frustration! How could you do that to me!

The one thing that knocked it down from a five star to a four, was because I thought it lacked any resolution... sure we learned some new things and characters are taking different roads... but nothing was really accomplished.

SPOILER:

I mean, sure, Aden got the witches to say “this meeting is called to order” and his friends didn’t die... but that’s all I get. Really? Poo!

END SPOILER!

Overall, Unraveled is an captivating, action packed read full of all my favorite creatures. I only demand one itsy, bitsy, teeny, tiny thing... MORE RILEY!