The Story is About   +  Penguin USA

Crossed by Ally Condie

Crossed by Ally Condie

Release Date: November 1, 2011
Publisher: Dutton
Age Group: Young Adult
Shelfability: Borrow
Pages: 384
Format: Advance Reader Copy
Source: BEA
Interest: Series
Other Titles in the Series: Matched
Challenge: None

In search of a future that may not exist and faced with the decision of who to share it with, Cassia journeys to the Outer Provinces in pursuit of Ky - taken by the Society to his certain death - only to find that he has escaped, leaving a series of clues in his wake.

Cassia's quest leads her to question much of what she holds dear, even as she finds glimmers of a different life across the border. But as Cassia nears resolve and certainty about her future with Ky, an invitation for rebellion, an unexpected betrayal, and a surprise visit from Xander - who may hold the key to the uprising and, still, to Cassia's heart - change the game once again. Nothing is as expected on the edge of Society, where crosses and double crosses make the path more twisted than ever.

I feel alone in my feelings for this series.

I will admit that I enjoyed reading Crossed more so than I did Matched. Perhaps it was because I wasn’t expecting much.

I liked getting into Ky’s head this time around. Crossed is told in two point of views, between Ky and Cassia. Although at times I found it hard to differentiate between the two character voices, despite the chapters being titled “Ky” or “Cassia.” And I liked getting to learn a little bit more about Ky and his history.

Condie is an extremely talented author, I won’t deny that she has a way with words. I love her writing, but this story just doesn’t work for me.

Crossed was slow paced, but again I was expecting that because of Matched. I never felt like anything was happening. Sure there are obstacles that the characters must overcome, but I never felt that gripping moment of heightened anxiety. That hook that draws you into the story and doesn’t let go.

As Crossed came to a close I felt rather disappointed. It was as though we were, exactly where we left off in Matched, we know that the Society is keeping things from it's people, but we are no closer to solving it. If anything, I’m filled with more questions.