The Story is About   +  young adult

Girl Overboard

Girl Overboard by Justina Chen Headley

Who wouldn’t want to have everything, a huge house, a name that is well known, and billionaires for parents. Syrah Cheng that’s who. It may seem like Syrah has everything, but we all know that line about judging something by it’s cover.

Syrah wants nothing more than to be a pro snowboarder, but as soon as she tears her ACL that dreams goes down the drain. The almost boyfriend she thought she had was only using her, well he was only hoping to use her name. Her parents are never around and her step siblings hate her. Syrah thinks her life can’t possibly get any worse. Then Syrah meets Amanda, who has been diagnosed with leukemia, and she does what the Chengs are known for. She rises to the occasion and arranges a fund-raiser to make a difference. Along the way she discovers herself and the family she never knew she had.

Girl Overboard was a story of self discovery and personal growth. When I first started reading I have to admit that the poor-little-rich-girl routine really REALLY annoyed me, but after Syrah met Amanda and she realizes that things can be much worse, I rejoiced! Finally, I got to see the Syrah that I knew was in there! The girl that fights for the person she wants to be and wins the respect of her family. As well the story itself I also enjoyed the insight into a new culture. Overall, it was a good story. Personally, I didn’t get into the book until about chapter 20, but I still recommend it as a good read.