The Story is About   +  young adult

The Off Season

The Off Season by Catherine Gilbert Murdock

D.J. is back at it again in the sequel to Dairy Queen, The Off Season. Things are finally on the upside for D.J. She is friends again with Amber and even Amber’s girlfriend Dale, and she is still sort of dating cutie quarterback Brian Nelson. She couldn’t be more happier than playing football for Red Bend and the guys actually accept her as part of the team.

But as we know, D.J.’s life has been anything but easy. She injures her shoulder during practice and has to decide between continuing playing football and possibly sustaining her shoulder injury, which would keep her from playing basketball. A basketball scholarship is D.J.’s ticket out of Red Bend. Then things with Brian start to go downhill, he seems fine when they are alone, but he never wants to be with her in public. To top that all off, Win is injured and D.J. flies across the country to take care of him for her parents.

I almost thought it was to much for D.J. to handle, I know it would be more than enough for me. Ultimately D.J. prevails like I knew she would. Of all the books I’ve read, D.J. is one of the few characters I’ve found myself truly admiring. The Off Season was more than I expected and I sincerely hope this isn’t the last of Miss D.J. Schwenk. (Even though I haven’t seen anything official on catherinemurdock.com there is a book cover with Dairy Queen III??? on it, I know I’ll be keeping my fingers crossed!)