The Story is About   +  young adult

Nailed

Nailed by Jennifer Laurens

Release Date: September 22, 2008
Publisher: Grove Creek Publishing
Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: 236

“When Mandy takes an unusual summer job– in construction– she has to prove she’s just one of the guys. But she gets more than she bargains for being the only girl on the job. The mixture of hot guys, sunscreen, raw wood and testosterone proves to be an elixir she can’t protect her heart from. Brooding Boston and flirty AJ find themselves looking at Mandy as more than just a girl who swings a hammer. Mandy soon finds herself not only lost in a whirlwind of a male-dominated world, but also the center of an inadvertently “constructed” love triangle”

I liked this book, I really did. It didn’t “WOW” be my any means, it was cute, fun, easy. Usually I have some preconceived notion of whether or not I’m going to like a book before I read it. Most of the time I’m not to far off, but then there are other times when I am truly surprised. I wouldn’t say this was one of those times when I was truly surprised, but I was surprised.

First off I just want to comment on the cover. I’m human, which like I’m sure most of you are. And lets face it we judge things by appearances, don’t act like you don’t, because you know you do. It’s human nature, we can’t help it, we can only rise above it. But anyway, back to the cover, can I just say, NO! I mean what is it! It’s repulsive that’s what it is! What is that girl about 30, she sure doesn’t look like she just graduated high school to me. And the guys, don’t even get me started. I will give them credit for the red bandanna and the Red Sox cap and that is it. With all that said, don’t let the cover turn you away, because it’s actually a good read. I’m not even going to comment on the title...

Mandy’s dad own the construction business so it’s not to far fetched to say that she would want to work in the same field. Not exactly my cup of tea, but then again I’m not Mandy. I related to her character, I liked her. When I can relate to a character, I usually get more enjoyment out of the story.

Laurens writing style was easy and fun to read. I hate it when I have to reread a page five times to figure out what is going on. Laurens has a nice flow to her writing. It was easy to read chapter after chapter and not realize you've read so much. I’ll most likely continue to pick up her books. I'll just have to close my eyes and not look at the covers!