The Story is About   +  Simon and Schuster

What Would Emma Do? by Eileen Cook

What Would Emma Do? by Eileen Cook

Release Date: December 23, 2008
Publisher: Simon Pulse/Simon & Schuster
Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: 307

While juggling friendship issues (her best friend isn’t speaking to her), a love triangle-turned-square (okay, maybe she shouldn’t have kissed her best friend’s boyfriend…but it was totally an accident!…sort of), and escalating mayhem in her small religious town (uh-oh…what would Jesus do?), Emma realizes she has to stop trying to please everyone around her and figure out what she wants for herself. It’s time to start asking, “What would Emma do?”

This novel was great, I really enjoyed reading it. I have to say my initial interest was started by the statement: “Thou shalt not kiss they best friend’s boyfriend...” I mean doesn’t that just intrigue you! I was surprised to find that the novel portrays a small Indiana town. Yay for Hoosiers! But I’ll admit it was strange having “Fort Wayne” pop up during the text... what with it being so close and all. But besides the coincidence of my proximity with a fictional story, I would have to say that I would have enjoyed this novel had it not taken place in the Hoosier state.

It’s refreshingly funny. I laughed out loud, Meg Cabot laughed out loud. I mean how can a book endorsed by Meg Cabot (also a fellow Hoosier) not be good!? I think it’s highly doubtful.

Emma’s character was extraordinary! She’s funny, smart, sarcastic, insecure and genuine. I related to her questioning of her life and her faith. It was easy for me to imagine myself in Emma’s world because it is a realistic one. And the wide range of emotion that Emma displayed definitely struck a cord.

I’m not sure if Cook is writing more about Emma, but I would love to read more about her! Great characters, great premise... add this one to your Christmas list.