The Story is About   +  young adult

Kiss Me Kill Me by Lauren Henderson

Kiss Me Kill Me by Lauren Henderson

Release Date: January 8, 2008
Publisher: Delacorte Press/Random House, Inc.
Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: 272

When 16-year-old Scarlett Wakefield transfers from St. Tabby’s to Wakefield Hall Collegiate, she is relieved that no one knows her dark, haunting secret. A few months ago, Scarlett was invited to an elite party with a guest list full of the hottest names in British society, including Dan McAndrew. Before the party, Scarlett had only imagined what it would be like to have her first kiss with Dan, but on the penthouse terrace, Dan leaned in close and she no longer had to wonder. Their kiss was beautiful and perfect and magical, and then . . . Dan McAndrew took his last breath as she held him in her arms. No one knows how or why Dan died, and everyone at St. Tabby’s believes Scarlett had something to do with it. But now that she’s safely hidden away at Wakefield Hall, Scarlett would rather forget that it ever happened. Only she can’t. Especially when she receives an anonymous note that will set her on the path to clearing her name and finding out what really happened to the first and last boy she kissed.

Initially I expected Kiss Me Kill Me to be on the light side, perhaps a little chick lit, something fun and airy. But it turned out to revolve around this captivating mystery... “who was really responsible for Dan’s death!” In the light of Dan’s death I also feel I need to discuss the probability for someone to die of kissing? I understand that the aforementioned person had a food allergy, but what’s the likelihood that he would be affected by a person who “nibbled” on the catalyst and then downed two glasses of champagne before the kissing occurred? I don’t know about you, but when I go kissing someone my mouth usually isn’t full? (Please fell free to contradict me on this one... I'm just sayin')Apparently it didn’t bother me enough, because I ended up devouring the rest of the novel and chose to overlook a few annoyances.

I love the entire atmosphere that Henderson portrays as soon as the novel starts! It’s just suspenseful the entire way through. The last few pages, were insanely overloaded, but in a good way. Henderson manages to answer some of the questions that have been floating around since the beginning, but then she throws in these totally new threads, that I’m sure will leave any reader dying to know what happens next! Including me!

I have to mention the cover, although it doesn’t really have anything to do with my review of the novel. But I’ve always thought it was such a fabulous cover! But then when I finally got a copy, I noticed the scraggly “chin music” the boy on the cover has... can I just say NO. I mean I’m sure it really psyched he has three of four hairs sprouting on his chin, but I mean come on, that does not look good!