The Story is About   +  dream

Author Tales: Deborah Kerbel

Deborah Kerbel is the author for this Thursday's Author Tales, Deborah is the author of Mackenzie Lost and Found, which was released November 17, 2008.



Thanks, Story Siren, for inviting me to chat on your blog today!

To those of you who don’t know me, my name is Deborah Kerbel and my debut YA, Mackenzie, Lost and Found, came out this winter. I’m one of the lucky people in the world who can say, without hesitation, that I absolutely LOVE my job. Being a YA author is really a dream-come-true. I get paid to work from my home, connect with young people who gush on books, and push my imagination to its limits every day.

Honestly, what could be better?

But it wasn’t always chocolate and roses. Getting published is really hard work and writers usually have to get used to a lot of criticism and rejection. Now rejection is hard on everyone…but writers (you know, being sensitive, artsy types and all) can often take rejection harder than others. Sometimes, it can be bad enough to make you want to throw your computer through the nearest window. And sometimes, it can be bad enough to make you doubt yourself to the point of giving up.

But getting Mackenzie, Lost and Found published has been a wonderful confirmation that, yes dammit, I am good at this. And hearing from readers around the world who’ve loved my book is the ultimate validation. So now I’d like to list a few more fabulous things about becoming a YA author.

Drumroll please…

#5. I no longer have to squirm uncomfortably and change the subject when people ask me that cliché cocktail party question: “So…what do you do?”
Because, you know, I’m an author sounds so much better than I hang just out in my pyjamas all day and play around on the computer.

#4. I get to scribble anything I want inside the cover page of my own books under the legitimate guise of ‘signing’. Of course, this is accompanied with the proviso to my children (should they be watching) that “remember, only Mummy…I mean authors are allowed to do this”.

#3. Did you know that, in general, people consider authors to be somewhat intellectual? Yup, even YA authors! As such, I have been granted a lifetime exemption from ‘dumb-blonde’ references. Sweet!

#2. The free personalized bookmarks are a really nice perk.

#1. And the best thing about becoming a YA author is…in the name of hard-working self-promotion, I get to have my own website where I write and blog about me, me, ME all day long (and not appear like a complete ego-maniacal narcissist in the process)!

Mackenzie, Lost and Found is a powerful story of ‘star-crossed’ teenage love set in the Middle East. If you want to find out more about Deborah Kerbel and her books, just click here: http://www.deborahkerbel.com



If you'd like to win a signed copy of Mackenzie Lost and Found leave a comment by Thursday March 19! Contest open to residents of the U.S. and Canada.