The Story is About   +  script

Author Tales: Julia Hoban

Julia Hoban is the author for this Thursday's Author Tales. Julia's debut novel Willow will be released April 2, 2009. I should have my review posted within the next few days. Julia is a wonderful author and I've enjoyed getting to know her tremendously! Be sure to add Willow to your TBR pile!



Is there anything that you would like people to know about the book? Something that might not be immediately obvious from the description?

You may be surprised to hear it, but I don’t really consider WILLOW to be a novel about cutting. It’s about someone who self harms, yes, but it’s really about learning to move beyond that behavior. I wrote it for those of us with self destructive urges, even if they are not always as dramatic as Willow’s, I wrote it especially for young women because I think being a teenager can be so difficult, but above all I wrote it to show how relationships can change us, how love can heal us. That is really what I consider WILLOW to be about.

What kind of research did you do for WILLOW?

I read a fair amount of case studies. Steven Levenkron’s “Cutting” was very helpful. One thing that may surprise people is the amount of care many cutters take with their wounds. It may seem counter intuitive, why cut yourself and then clean and bandage the cuts? But that’s a real window into the psyche of a self injurer: as Willow says, cutting is not a dress rehearsal for suicide. It is most often a way of stuffing down feelings that would otherwise be overpowering.

The location of the story is never mentioned, why? Did you have a specific place in mind when you were writing?

Willow is about a sensitive subject, something that many people could find difficult. I needed people to connect with the book as immediately as possible. I felt that readers needed to have their own place in mind, not be presented with a location that might possibly distance them from the story. That is why I never describe the locale, but for me, WILLOW takes place on the campus of Columbia University where I went to school, the Museum of Natural History which I visit regularly, and Riverside Park where I walk every day.

What has your experience with YA bloggers been like? Do you think it will make a difference for WILLOW?

I’m so glad that you asked me that! I’m thrilled to have a chance to publicly acknowledge the amazing reception I’ve had from the blogosphere! I never knew that there was such a community of book lovers. I’ve met some extraordinary young women in the past few months (and of course James, of Book Chic!) some absolutely extraordinary young women! I’ve been astonished at the passion for books, the generosity of spirit, and the overwhelming kindness that I’ve encountered. And it’s not just that you’ve all been so wonderful to me, you seem to be a tight knit community that looks out for and supports each other as well. It’s been an absolute honor and delight getting to know you all.

As to whether I think it will make a difference for WILLOW... Let me put it to you this way, if WILLOW succeeds it will be in very large part due to the reception I have gotten from the YA blogging world. I could never thank all of you enough.

Do you have any personality quirks? What else do you like to do besides write?

I think the more accurate question might be is there any part of your personality that is normal?! I am exceedingly eccentric. I wear hats and gloves 365 days a year, yes you read that correctly. I design my own clothes, which people seem to find interesting, though I think if they saw some of my sketches they would be less than impressed! I went to graduate school in physics which also seems to interest people, but again, I think if they saw my grades they would be less than impressed! The following may give an accurate idea of my personality: I needed a black scoop necked shirt for some photos, but of course I couldn’t find anything that worked. I was having lunch at a rather fancy French restaurant, and the woman at the next table was wearing exactly the top I needed! I asked her if she would sell me the shirt off her back. Thankfully she was charmed and we went into the bathroom to make the exchange. We’ve since become good friends, but do you know, some people consider that rather forward behavior! Go figure!

If you could ask yourself any interview question, what would you ask, and how would you answer it?

Q) You say that you wrote WILLOW for those of us with self destructive urges, that it is a book about the power of love to heal. All well and good, but do you think a book, any book can help someone with such severe problems?

A) Absolutely. I can tell you from personal experience that I count many books as good and trusted friends, that there are books that have helped me through the deepest despair and through intense loneliness. Now WILLOW may not be a book that speaks to everyone, but if someone is able to learn from it, to question why they might treat themselves as less than they should, then this author will have truly done her job.



Thanks Julia for that fabulous interview! Would you like to win a signed ARC of Willow?! Leave a comment below to enter. Deadline is April 2, 2009. Post about this contest and I'll give you an extra entry! Just leave a comment with the link! This contest is open to EVERYONE, yes that means you international readers!