The Story is About   +  young adult

City of Glass by Cassandra Clare

City of Glass by Cassandra Clare

Release Date: March 24, 2009
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry
Age Group: Young Adults
Pages: 541

To save her mother's life, Clary must travel to the City of Glass, the ancestral home of the Shadowhunters -- never mind that enter-ing the city without permission is against the Law, and breaking the Law could mean death. To make things worse, she learns that Jace does not want her there, and Simon has been thrown in prison by the Shadowhunters, who are deeply suspicious of a vampire who can withstand sunlight.

As Clary uncovers more about her family's past, she finds an ally in mysterious Shadow-hunter Sebastian. With Valentine mustering the full force of his power to destroy all Shadow-hunters forever, their only chance to defeat him is to fight alongside their eternal enemies. But can Downworlders and Shadowhunters put aside their hatred to work together? While Jace realizes exactly how much he's willing to risk for Clary, can she harness her newfound powers to help save the Glass City -- whatever the cost?

Why am I finding it so difficult to write this review. I’ve been stewing for days– literally– writing this review in my head– while I’m trying to fall asleep, while I’m in the shower, while driving, which really isn’t such a good idea, and yet everything has ended up crap. Although I did have something going before I feel asleep the other night, and of course I have forgotten it.

I’m saddened to see this series end, but even so I thought that it ended perfectly. No cookie- cuter, sweetened overload, just a perfectly seamless ending. Sure I’d like to know what may happen next, but I’m perfectly content with leaving that open to my own realm of possibility.

The Mortal Instruments is on of my favorite series’ and City of Glass is now one of my all time favorite novels. Cassandra Clare is an amazing story-teller. Sure some parts of the novel were a little predictable, but I can honestly say that didn’t bother me. There were a lot of things that surprised me! The subtle clues that Clare had placed within the previous two novels, came rushing back with clarity and I was aghast with how I had missed so much before!

As much as I wanted to read this book, there was a small part of me that didn’t. While I’d devoured Clare’s previous novels in a day, I took my time to relish in this final chapter. I was emotionally invested in these characters, and I didn’t want to see it end. And yet as the novel progressed, I was content as it came to a close. Clare kept true to her characters, she didn’t change their characterization because she wanted the novel to end a certain way, and I think I feel the need to appraise that more than anything. Too many times in a series, do I see characters take a dramatic turn just to enhance the story. Sure characters grow and develop that is expected, but don’t solidify a characters persona only to destroy it.

The exceptional writing and the articulate plot kept me engaged and entertained, but for me it was the superb cast of characters that kept me reading this series.

Speaking of exceptional writing. Clare has it going on. It takes a lot for me to get into imagery. I just can’t imagine something that is being described to me, well most of the time. There are a few exceptions and Clare’s writings is one of them. And not only that but, I love that fact that she clearly gives each character a distinct voice. When I read her dialogue I know who is talking right away. And I love that!

What else can I say... I loved this books. I love this series. It’s everything a good novel should be and then some. And I love how pretty the books look on my bookshelf. :)