The Story is About   +  young adult

Willow by Julia Hoban

Willow by Julia Hoban

Release Date: April 2, 2009
Publisher: Dial
Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: 336

Seven months ago, on a rainy March night, sixteen year- old Willow’s parents died in a horrible car accident. Willow was driving. Now her older brother barely speaks to her, her new classmates know her as the killer orphan girl, and Willow is blocking the pain by secretly cutting herself. But when one boy —one sensitive, soulful boy—discovers Willow’s secret, it sparks an intense relationship that turns the “safe” world Willow has created for herself upside down.

I’m not even sure where to start this review. I’ve honestly written this review almost five times and haven’t been happy with what I’ve spit out. I’m not sure I can do this book justice. To say that it was spectacular would be an understatement. To say that I had a hard time putting it down, widely understated! Yet, why? Because in all seriousness, reading a story about a ‘cutter’ didn’t really appeal to me. I mean sure it sounded interesting, and I’ve read books about eating disorders, drugs, so why not try cutting.

So I did.

I totally agree with Hoban’s choice to write this novel in third person. Had it not been written from Willow’s POV, I know I wouldn’t have found it as impressive as I did. I needed that insight, I needed to know why someone would do that to their self. And I hate to admit it but I understood, I empathized, I accepted it. Hoban doesn’t dance around the fact, there are some shockingly graphic scenes, but instead of grotesque they are honest and revealing.

And it’s not only the characterization of Willow that’s impressive. It’s the disheartening portrayal of Willow’s brother David, and her warped sense of his withdrawal. It’s the eccentric relationship between Willow and Guy. It’s the secondary characters that have some of the smallest parts but remain prominent in your mind. For me I, couldn’t stop thinking about the girl at the restaurant.

Willow is about so much more than cutting. It’s about love. Not only first love, but the power of redemption that only love can posses.

Still haven’t done the book justice, but I’ll leave you with this. Yes, cutting is a painful subject to read about. But Willow was skillfully and uniquely told. Essentially the message is uplifting, even the worst of situations can improve.

Glad I did.